cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Work instructions workflow

TomM
12-Amethyst

Work instructions workflow

Hi,

Windchill 11.1 M020, MPMLink

I've created an mBOM, process plan with operations, representations and I can generate the work instructions as HTML pages. Are they stored somewhere and associated to either the process plan or the product variant itself? I can't find it anywhere.

If not and as a short description states they're "dynamically generated" then how it's supposed to work on the shopfloor? How is the operator supposed to generate the correct set of instructions for the order they receive?

Best regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomM)

Hello @TomM ,

The OOTB work instructions are always generated dynamically. 

For your shop flor you need define correct  methodic to get correct instructions.

For example, users can see just released data and if you need to see older released data you need to use filter to show correct data. For example Date Effectivity. PromotionRequest Baselines.

Many things may be automated by code and workflow but you need to develop process how to release data for specific purpose

For example, one customer needed specific operation work instructions so OOTB could not be used anymore.

Also the customer needs was to get instructions in PDF from specific operation so another method had to be created. 

So it is not co easy to achieve everything OOTB in MPMLink 

For your case the easiest way is create some process to manage generation worksinstructions and save it to PDF and send to SAP that after change is done somehow. 

PetrH

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hello @TomM ,

The OOTB work instructions are always generated dynamically. 

For your shop flor you need define correct  methodic to get correct instructions.

For example, users can see just released data and if you need to see older released data you need to use filter to show correct data. For example Date Effectivity. PromotionRequest Baselines.

Many things may be automated by code and workflow but you need to develop process how to release data for specific purpose

For example, one customer needed specific operation work instructions so OOTB could not be used anymore.

Also the customer needs was to get instructions in PDF from specific operation so another method had to be created. 

So it is not co easy to achieve everything OOTB in MPMLink 

For your case the easiest way is create some process to manage generation worksinstructions and save it to PDF and send to SAP that after change is done somehow. 

PetrH

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:HelesicPetr)

Thank you for a quick response!

So the OOTB intention is to have PDM available to the operators and generate the instructions as needed, right?

But then how are they linked to the order or product variant?

There're O&V which result in lots of product variants. Each is transformed to mBOM to suite the production needs. Let's assume for now there's one Process Plan only. Using filters I can prepare a process plan for each product variant and using the same filters I can generate an instruction for each.

Now I'm at the shopfloor, an order comes through ERP. What's the intended way to pair the order with a product variant in Windchill and generate an instruction dynamically?

As I understand from your post a different approach is to have those instructions printed to PDF and attached to specific sales option (product variant), right? Rather hard to sustain and manage.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @TomM 

For Each ECN you can set Effectivity, date , series atc. so you need to use the effectivity to filter the ECN resutls. 

and teach the users from shopflore how to use it. 

PetrH

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:HelesicPetr)

Allright, thanks for clarification.

Announcements

Top Tags