cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Workflow - defining participants

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Workflow - defining participants

Back when I took the workflow class for 8.0 it was not possible to define a participant to an individual user if you first selected a role and a group.

I wanted to show the user just the individuals in a specific role/group and have them pick an individual from the abbreviated list.

According to the instructor this wasn't possible.

Has anything changed in 9.1 or 10.0

All our roles have groups assigned to them. The individuals are not individually assigned to the roles they are assigned to a group.

Perhaps we are going about this in a bad way. Is there a better way to do this?

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

11 REPLIES 11

I am using wc10 and i still see its the same way.

In promotion request while selecting participants, i can not expand on Specific role or group.

I believe there is a preference to control this behavior for Promotion Requests, not sure if it is for all workflow tasks.

I am using default OOTB promotion request workflow.

Even there i could not see an option to exapnd by role/group.

Attached is a screenshot of the Preference I was talking about

Go to Site > Preference Manager > Promotion Process > Group Members
Display, the default value is No, change that to yes and then you should
be able to see individuals in the Promotion Wizard.

Steve D.

> I am using default OOTB promotion request workflow.
> Even there i could not see an option to exapnd by role/group.
>
>

Please see attached - may be helpful (Visio).
Applies for 9.1 - 10.0 quite a bit different and I haven't updated yet.

Here is an example of 10.0 M020 - enhancement in M020 - with expanding
groups

Adding a bit of clarification.

Notice that the users are currently selectable.

Setting the preference that Steve pointed out will expose a selection
box on the group members.

Sorry - users are "un-selectable".

Screenshot with the preference set to yes

Exactly my problem. I'd like to select just one individual not spam the whole group with promotion approval emails.

David Haigh

With the help of www.najanaja.com, we recreated the setup participants to have the same look and feel of team administrator table but only show the participants in an activity. See attached document. I've been asking this since Windchill 6.2.6 and 7. Attached is the use case for the functionality.

You would want a discrete set from a role.Currently, OOTB workflow cannot map a role in an activity toa context team role in a resource pool. Roles are not allowed to be selected only default teams and context team. The workaround for a defined team per role doesn’t work because you can only have one OIR team for change notice.

Similar to this attached issue, we created a call sometime back C07682334, where we were demonstrated this new interface does exist in Windchill 10 to where it “looks like the team administration table” but only for mapping the roles/members of the assignment tasks. I do believe this is a very common requirement. We’ve been asking for this since Windchill 6.2.6 and 7. There have been past related SPRs (i.e. 1586957). SPR1586957 had nothing really to do with the FIND. The SPR was to have PTC provide a working useable UI for setup Participants. The reason because the current 9.0 and 9.1 setup participant UI is horrible if you have a huge team roles to map to workflow roles.

Most people populate the STANDARDIZE CONTEXT TEAM roles to groups of people who fit that role. Only people who fit to that role can be selected as the resource pool per workflow role. This is the current functionality of Workflow Resource pool. The problem is that the OIR only allows one “team” OR the resource pool cannot map to a context team role.

Based on the Change notice type and complexity, you can have different sets of roles for approvals and you may have different task in series for graduated approval.

Top Tags