cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

can we use Directory server from WC 11.2 in Windchill 12.0.2.0 or 12.0.0.0 version?

Pratik_More
6-Contributor

can we use Directory server from WC 11.2 in Windchill 12.0.2.0 or 12.0.0.0 version?

Hello Experts,

I am trying to install the WC 12 . I need to know one information about the Directory server.

Can i use Directory server Media zip from WC 11.2 while installing WC 12.0.2.0? or I need to use its supported with WC 12.0.0.0? 

Just want to know is anyone has tried this before? 

Experts your opinion on this please.

Note- Currently we are evaluating Opendj security related stuff so want to know if the Windchill Directory server from WC 11.2 media zip can be used. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It also depends on if the install is for a new implementation, or if it is ultimately for an upgrade of a version prior to WC 12.0.2. IF it is for an upgrade scenario, then DS would be supported from PTC just for the upgrade, and then switch to a tool like OpenDJ or AD

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hello - I am using it with Windchill 12.1.2.8 and connecting to AD.  As a rhetorical question, why are you looking at early releases of Windchill?

Hi Brian,

Since we have some security stuff pending to confirm the usage of the OpenDJ as PTC currently not providing this with WC package. It might take bit longer so i thought to try the Directory server from old package as its been provided by the PTC. 

We have AD servers but currently LDAP and AD integration stuff is also under evaluation...so easiest way to me is use old DS from WC 11.2.

Dis you tried something like my above query? your expert opinion on that ? 

Yes you use the old Disc from WC11.2.

Food for thought...

Technically, yes, WindchillDS can be used for installation.

However, WindchillDS is OpenDJ.  It is just a much older build most likely full of security vulnerabilities that have been patched over the last few years.

So, the idea to get around waiting for security validation of OpenDJ is to use an old version of OpenDJ?

Also, if using WindchillDS up front, you will need to reconfigure the LDAP integration later once OpenDJ (or Active Directory) is approved.

Not all security teams move at the speed of light.

They generally move at the speed of PTC 😊

😂🤣

It also depends on if the install is for a new implementation, or if it is ultimately for an upgrade of a version prior to WC 12.0.2. IF it is for an upgrade scenario, then DS would be supported from PTC just for the upgrade, and then switch to a tool like OpenDJ or AD

When we first installed 12.0.2.7, we used 11.2 WC DS in order to do the DS migration for our upgrade from 11.2. Once the upgrade was complete, we migrated to AD and removed WC DS, so yes- it is doable . I wouldn't rely on it as a long term solution though as PTC isn't supporting that scenario.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Pratik_More)

I am running both 12,0,2 and 12.1.2 with WindchillDS 11.2, but different builds. The 12.0.2 is on CPS2 and the 12.1.2 is on CPS17. There is a CS article, CS352917, that outlines what you need to do to use the 11.2 LDAP with 12.x.

As long as PTC is supporting LDAP v3, WindchillDS 11.2 should work. It will depend on your company's willingness to live with security issues in the older software.

Top Tags