cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

creo view not launching

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

creo view not launching

I installed CPS06 on Windchill PDMLink 11.0 m030 the other night and now Creo View will not launch on either my workstation or when remoted into the Windchill server.

I get a new IE window with a 'Starting Creo View Client' across the top of the window, but that is all. I have verified that Creo View will start manually from its installation on both computers.

It all worked fine before the CPS06 patch install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

PTC spent 8 months trying to resolve this issue and never did!!

We finally did some backdoor testing with a standalone install of Windchill11.0 and every CPS up to 06. They all launched CreoView, just not our production system. We then did a rehost of the production system (11.0 m030 CPS06) to the second set of servers and everything is working again. No explanation why it would not launch from the original servers. No changes to IE, no changes to URI calls, no system ports opened, just a rehost to aa new set of servers.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

I installed CPS06 on Windchill PDMLink 11.0 m030 the other night and now Creo View will not launch on either my workstation or when remoted into the Windchill server.

I get a new IE window with a 'Starting Creo View Client' across the top of the window, but that is all. I have verified that Creo View will start manually from its installation on both computers.

It all worked fine before the CPS06 patch install.

I would check the following:

•   check if the Creo View Agent login window is beneath the active windows:
  • check for an existing pvagent.exe process(es) and kill it/them if they exist
    • the pvagent.exe is started when firing up Creo View from the browser
    • sometimes it gets in a non responsive state and needs killed

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RandyJones)

We don't launch pvagent.exe as a service since we are not connected to the internet on the production side. It is not running now and has no service to disable it. Pvagent does run on my unclassified side and I have had to disable it to do the CPS installs.

The CS article says it is specific to Windows 10. I am still on Windows 7 Enterprise or Server 2008r2.

I will keep digging.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

We don't launch pvagent.exe as a service since we are not connected to the internet on the production side. It is not running now and has no service to disable it. Pvagent does run on my unclassified side and I have had to disable it to do the CPS installs.

You can't run Creo View (launched from the browser) without pvagent.exe. It is a core part of the process now:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS241237

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have updated to CPS08 and still getting the Starting Creo View Client message.

Opened a call with PTC and they have not found anything that will fix this problem, yet.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

I have updated to CPS08 and still getting the Starting Creo View Client message.

Opened a call with PTC and they have not found anything that will fix this problem, yet.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Creo View launches from the web browser and works good here.

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS08. It also worked fine with previous M030 cps sets.

Creo View 4.2 M001

Windows 10/7 clients

FireFox 52.7.4 ESR 32bit

Chrome 66.0.3359.139

IE 11

Edge 40.15063.674.0

I would have a look at your Creo View install.

Like I mentioned previously pvagent.exe is a required part of the Creo View launch from a web browser. If pvagent.exe is blocked by a virus scanner or something then Creo View will not launch. If pvagent.exe is running

then kill it like I mentioned earlier. We have to occasionally kill this process because Creo View will no longer launch.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Randy,

You have Creo View 4.2 running with Windchill 11.0? I thought 4.2 was for 11.1.

Maybe I will try an upgrade to 4.2 and see if that solves the issue.

Did you also upgrade the adaptors to 4.2 on the publishing machine(s)?

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

Randy,

You have Creo View 4.2 running with Windchill 11.0? I thought 4.2 was for 11.1.

Yep.

Creo View 4.2 both View and Adapters are supported with Windchill 11.0 M030:

https://www.ptc.com/support/refdoc/Creo_Illustrate/4.2/CVAdapters_4_2_173511?&art_lang=en&posno=2&q=&DocumentType=Reference%20Document&Product=Creo%20View&Release=4.2&source=search

https://www.ptc.com/support/refdoc/Creo_View/4.2/CreoViewFuturePlatformSupportMatrix_165040?&art_lang=en&posno=4&q=&DocumentType=Reference%20Document&Product=Creo%20View&Release=4.2&source=search

Maybe I will try an upgrade to 4.2 and see if that solves the issue.

Did you also upgrade the adaptors to 4.2 on the publishing machine(s)?

That is another yes.

I am also running Creo Parametric 5.0.0.0 for the cadworker. Just switched from Creo Parametric 4.0 when Creo Parametric 5.0.0.0 was released. We are currently in production on Creo Parametric 3.0 however are switching to Creo Parametric 4.0 in a couple of week.s

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have installed CPS08 and creo view client 4.2 to see if this will fix the error.

I have installed CreoView client 4.2 on my server as an upgrade so it uses the same root folder and run it standalone, but when I go to launch it from Windchill, I still get the Starting Creo View Client window. I tried Software Downloads and install CreoView and I get a web error page 404 Status Not found. I suspect Windchill is still looking for Creo View 4.1 so now I need to point it to 4.2, even though it is in the same folder.

VeqTor
12-Amethyst

I have Creo View 4.2 installed. Recently it worked fine to start Creo View out of Windchill (in the browser).

Without any changes to the program configuration this no longer works. Neither when clicking on a link like XXX-YYY.ASM in Windchill, nor when clicking on the part's preview, nor via the menu "Actions -> Open in Creo".

pvagent.exe is not running, and also can't seem to be started manually.

Please advise!

VeqTor
12-Amethyst
(To:VeqTor)

Okay, never mind.

I just saw that it works in Chrome and Edge, just not in Internet Explorer and PaleMoon.

pvagent.exe gets started from the browser, and then the part is launched in Creo View.

I faced the same issue since last Windows Update on March 19, 2019. Creo View is blocked from launching in Internet Explorer. I tried a lot and found out that it works when you run Internet Explorer as Administrator.

And on Microsoft Support I found this:
https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4489894/windows-10-update-kb4489894
"After installing this security update, Custom URI Schemes for Application Protocol handlers may not start the corresponding application for local intranet and trusted sites on Internet Explorer."

To lauch Creo View successful, you need to enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer for Local Intranet and Trusted Sites.
Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security.
Select "Local Intranet" and "Trusted Sites"
Check the box "Enable Protected Mode"
Restart Internet Explorer

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

PTC spent 8 months trying to resolve this issue and never did!!

We finally did some backdoor testing with a standalone install of Windchill11.0 and every CPS up to 06. They all launched CreoView, just not our production system. We then did a rehost of the production system (11.0 m030 CPS06) to the second set of servers and everything is working again. No explanation why it would not launch from the original servers. No changes to IE, no changes to URI calls, no system ports opened, just a rehost to aa new set of servers.

Top Tags