cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creo view not launching

SOLVED
Sapphire I

creo view not launching

I installed CPS06 on Windchill PDMLink 11.0 m030 the other night and now Creo View will not launch on either my workstation or when remoted into the Windchill server.

I get a new IE window with a 'Starting Creo View Client' across the top of the window, but that is all. I have verified that Creo View will start manually from its installation on both computers.

It all worked fine before the CPS06 patch install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: creo view not launching

PTC spent 8 months trying to resolve this issue and never did!!

We finally did some backdoor testing with a standalone install of Windchill11.0 and every CPS up to 06. They all launched CreoView, just not our production system. We then did a rehost of the production system (11.0 m030 CPS06) to the second set of servers and everything is working again. No explanation why it would not launch from the original servers. No changes to IE, no changes to URI calls, no system ports opened, just a rehost to aa new set of servers.

 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Re: creo view not launching


@BenLoosli wrote:

I installed CPS06 on Windchill PDMLink 11.0 m030 the other night and now Creo View will not launch on either my workstation or when remoted into the Windchill server.

I get a new IE window with a 'Starting Creo View Client' across the top of the window, but that is all. I have verified that Creo View will start manually from its installation on both computers.

It all worked fine before the CPS06 patch install.


I would check the following:

  •   check if the Creo View Agent login window is beneath the active windows:
  • check for an existing pvagent.exe process(es) and kill it/them if they exist
    • the pvagent.exe is started when firing up Creo View from the browser
    • sometimes it gets in a non responsive state and needs killed

 

Re: creo view not launching

We don't launch pvagent.exe as a service since we are not connected to the internet on the production side. It is not running now and has no service to disable it. Pvagent does run on my unclassified side and I have had to disable it to do the CPS installs.

 

The CS article says it is specific to Windows 10. I am still on Windows 7 Enterprise or Server 2008r2.

 

I will keep digging.

Re: creo view not launching


@BenLoosli wrote:

We don't launch pvagent.exe as a service since we are not connected to the internet on the production side. It is not running now and has no service to disable it. Pvagent does run on my unclassified side and I have had to disable it to do the CPS installs.

 



You can't run Creo View (launched from the browser) without pvagent.exe. It is a core part of the process now:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS241237

Re: creo view not launching

I have updated to CPS08 and still getting the Starting Creo View Client message.

Opened a call with PTC and they have not found anything that will fix this problem, yet.

 

Has anyone else seen this issue?

 

Re: creo view not launching


@BenLoosli wrote:

I have updated to CPS08 and still getting the Starting Creo View Client message.

Opened a call with PTC and they have not found anything that will fix this problem, yet.

 

Has anyone else seen this issue?

 


Creo View launches from the web browser and works good here.

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS08. It also worked fine with previous M030 cps sets.

Creo View 4.2 M001

Windows 10/7 clients

FireFox 52.7.4 ESR 32bit

Chrome 66.0.3359.139

IE 11

Edge 40.15063.674.0

 

I would have a look at your Creo View install.

Like I mentioned previously pvagent.exe is a required part of the Creo View launch from a web browser. If pvagent.exe is blocked by a virus scanner or something then Creo View will not launch. If pvagent.exe is running

then kill it like I mentioned earlier. We have to occasionally kill this process because Creo View will no longer launch.

Re: creo view not launching

Randy,

You have Creo View 4.2 running with Windchill 11.0? I thought 4.2 was for 11.1.

Maybe I will try an upgrade to 4.2 and see if that solves the issue.

Did you also upgrade the adaptors to 4.2 on the publishing machine(s)?

 

Re: creo view not launching


@BenLoosli wrote:

Randy,

You have Creo View 4.2 running with Windchill 11.0? I thought 4.2 was for 11.1.

Yep.

Creo View 4.2 both View and Adapters are supported with Windchill 11.0 M030:

https://www.ptc.com/support/refdoc/Creo_Illustrate/4.2/CVAdapters_4_2_173511?&art_lang=en&posno=2&q=...

https://www.ptc.com/support/refdoc/Creo_View/4.2/CreoViewFuturePlatformSupportMatrix_165040?&art_lan...

 

Maybe I will try an upgrade to 4.2 and see if that solves the issue.

Did you also upgrade the adaptors to 4.2 on the publishing machine(s)?

 


That is another yes.

I am also running Creo Parametric 5.0.0.0 for the cadworker. Just switched from Creo Parametric 4.0 when Creo Parametric 5.0.0.0 was released. We are currently in production on Creo Parametric 3.0 however are switching to Creo Parametric 4.0 in a couple of week.s

Highlighted

Re: creo view not launching

I have installed CPS08 and creo view client 4.2 to see if this will fix the error.

I have installed CreoView client 4.2 on my server as an upgrade so it uses the same root folder and run it standalone, but when I go to launch it from Windchill, I still get the Starting Creo View Client window. I tried Software Downloads and install CreoView and I get a web error page 404 Status Not found. I suspect Windchill is still looking for Creo View 4.1 so now I need to point it to 4.2, even though it is in the same folder.

 

Re: creo view not launching

I have Creo View 4.2 installed. Recently it worked fine to start Creo View out of Windchill (in the browser).

 

Without any changes to the program configuration this no longer works. Neither when clicking on a link like XXX-YYY.ASM in Windchill, nor when clicking on the part's preview, nor via the menu "Actions -> Open in Creo".

 

pvagent.exe is not running, and also can't seem to be started manually.

 

Please advise!