cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

eBOM to mBOM How To / Best Practices - PDMLink 9.1

ckg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

eBOM to mBOM How To / Best Practices - PDMLink 9.1

We have been using PDMLink 9.1 for 8 months now and have got to the stage where we wish to explore the capabilities of the eBOM/mBOM functionality. We have Windchill setup to automatically create WTparts and structures from the CAD objects, and wish to demonstrate to how Windchill could be used togenerate Product Structures for release as part of new product documentation packages.

Does anyone have any Best Practice / How To guides to help me get started with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

ChrisGlenister, Thermo Fisher Scientific, UK

6 REPLIES 6
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:ckg)

Hi Chris

we are more or less at the same stage than you. We have a 2 day workshop with our VAR next months.

We have been thinking of different approaches

1) CAD structure represent mBOM, therefore when checking in the product structure is the mBOM

2) CAD structure represent the eBOM therefore when checking in the product structure is the eBOM. Production engineering will take this to manually create the mBOM into our ERP

3) CAD structure represent the eBOM therefore when checking in the product structure is the eBOM but from that eBOM we will create the manufacturing views and therefore just need a 1 to 1 transfer to the ERP.

The problem with the product structure explorer is that it does not roll up quantity nor wait.

For instance. if I have a CAD asm model Let's call it CAD1 using 2 components CPT1 and CPT2, when I check it in the WTparts are created. So far so good but when I use the PSE and create a new WTPart using CAD1 and I say I need 10 of them, PSE does not tell me that I need 10 CPT1 and 10CPT2

I was told that MPMLink manages better but, first we do not have it, secondly, I will need to see it to believe it 🙂

So at the moment, options 1 and 2 are in our favour. especially 2 knowing that our product is not 100% define by CAD data (for instance lubricant)

As far as I know eBOM and mBOM are always a hot topic so I hope there will be many contributions

Thanks

cc-2
6-Contributor

too hot of a topic maybe 😞

gscorpil
1-Newbie

Have you looked at the PSE in Windchill 10? I thought I remember seeing something that may solve your issue with quantities.

tsarspb
1-Newbie

Have you seen the Practice Test Cases: Associative eBOM-mBOM Management document? This one is for Windchill 9.1 / Wildfire 4. There is a similar dociment for Windchill 10 / Wildfire 5.

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hello Dmitry

thank you for the links. Very interesting but it seems that without MPMLink, one can't do much.

I am wondering if PTC is pushing users to acquire MPMLink or if simply the PSE in Windchill is not up to the job at all.

I would like to achieve it with buying MPMLink, this will be yet another module not planned at the beginning of the implementation.

Thanks

ckg
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Thanks Dmitry, I had found this one and felt that it was probably overkill for us, as we probably don't need the associativity.
Also, as NacNac Mott points out it depends on MPMLink which we don't have.
I have seen a video of Windchill 10 eBOM/mBOM drag/drop functionality which I liked the look of, and thought if we extend
the use of WC outside the design dept. then this would an easier interface to pickup.

Chris Glenister
Mechanical Design Manager
Thermo Fisher Scientific
The Birches Industrial Estate
Imberhorne Lane
East Grinstead
West Sussex, UK
RH19 1UB
Tel (+44) 01342 310272
Fax (+44) 01342 315074
www.thermo.com
Top Tags