cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

getTargetApplet for Change Request

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

getTargetApplet for Change Request

Once in a while a user will get this error when selecting the Finish button of a Change Request.

A document on PTC's site said the fix is to clear the Java cache and try again. The first thing I have the user try is to clear the Java cache AND the temporary internet files.  98% of the time this does not fix it for the user.  The document also suggests a workaround.

1. In PDMLink go to Quick Links > My Settings > Preferences > Attachment > File Upload Mechanism.
  2. Set File Upload Mechanism to Use Basic browser to select and upload files.

This change allows the user to complete creating the Change Request.

Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix?

PDMLink 10.1 M050

IE 9, 10, and 11

Java 6 Update 38 and 7 Update 76

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Steve,

I remember I had this issue sometime back. But since I set the preference File Upload Mechanism to Basic and clearing all cache (also refer to CS29555) I did not face this issue again.

Regards,

Shirish

Many of my users like the drag-n-drop icon so it would be great if I could find out what is causing it in the first place.

Is this behavior reported repeatedly by users? If yes, have you ask this user to clear Browser cache?

Also have this user change preference (mentioned above) value and reset it back to original and see if this still reoccurs.

BR,

Shirish

As I mentioned, this happens once in a while.  But after they make the setting change they don't have that problem again.

I'm assuming what you call clearing Browser cache is the same as what I mentioned in my first post about clearing the temp internet files?  I have them do that AND clear the Java cache first.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:STEVEG)

Possible causes; Client side Browser/Browser settings and client side Java version.  Client side Java automatically updating was far and away the most common cause of suddenly changing from working to not.  Applicable to IE 9 for sure, can't speak to 10 or 11.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:kpritchard)

When I install Java I also disable automatic updating.  They do not have an updated version of Java.  Users are on either Java 6 Update 38 or Java 7 Update 76.  It's probably 90% are on 6.

Most of my users are on IE9.  Probably about 20% are on IE11.  There may be a smattering of users on 10 but it's a hand full at most.

ChrisSpartz
12-Amethyst

When the error occurs, is any message written to the Method Server log? How about the java console on the client? One of those two locations should contain information that points to cause of the error.

I haven't looked at that but it's a good point.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

The only error I saw was this.

2016-03-23 10:54:46,034 ERROR [ajp-bio-8010-exec-40] com.ptc.core.components.beans.DataUtilityBean xxx - CaughtException while processing column: changeTask_needDate. Enable 'com.ptc.core.components.beans.DataUtilityBean' logger for full stack trace.Error converting value, "null" is not a valid Date.

Top Tags