cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

how to choose one of three specific approvers in promotion process

sbugros
4-Participant

how to choose one of three specific approvers in promotion process

In WC 9.1 m060, is it possible to choose one out of three specific users to be the APPROVER in the promotion process? I don't want to have the option to choose from every user in the system just a specific three.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Bugros
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Collider-Accelerator Department
Building 911 B
35 Lawrence Drive
Upton, N.Y. 11973
631-344-3259
bugros@bnl.gov

11 REPLIES 11
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:sbugros)

Put the names in a group and tie the group to the approver role.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
sbugros
4-Participant

Hi Ben,

When I do that it sends the promotion request to all three. I want to select just one out of the three.

Steve

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Yes it will, but you can set your workflow so only 1 has to approve the request.
Once approved, the request will be removed from all 3 user's task list.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

To add onto what Ben says...

Approving the request is one way to make is disappear from the task list of the other two. Another way is to have one approver accept the task (from the See Actions/Actions menu) which also causes it to disappear from the other approvers' task lists prior to working on it, and prior to approval.

In Reply to Ben Loosli:

Yes it will, but you can set your workflow so only 1 has to approve the request.
Once approved, the request will be removed from all 3 user's task list.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

dwilliams
6-Contributor

The only other option you have is to have a preceding "setup
participants" task where a user selects a user from one of the three
participants. Afterwards, the approval task would only go to the user(s)
selected.

Regards,

Dax Williams
Engineering E-Tools Administrator
GE Healthcare OEC

Surgery

Yah but, that doesn't really get to what Steve wants to do. He wants the user to choose one person for the approval.

You don't really want all three getting spammed with email for things they don't know anything about.

David Haigh

I'll be the first to admit I looked at it through a different sort of lens when framing my reply.

In my experience, all reviewers were part of one group, so if users were given the choice of one reviewer to use, they'd always pick the reviewer least likely to push back and reject the promotion request. Not really fair to that reviewer, or to the company overall really.

Having thought about it a bit more, I can see quite a few situations where having the choice up front would be better. For example, if one promotion workflow is used for different departments, the spam issue you bring up would become really old, really fast for the other two.

In Reply to David Haigh:

Yah but, that doesn't really get to what Steve wants to do. He wants the user to choose one person for the approval.

You don't really want all three getting spammed with email for things they don't know anything about.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

I'm in discussion and working with PTC to get the resource pool working to a Context TEAM role of users based selection rather than having an entire team in setup participant. Thus, not everyone will get an assignment.

ejhlti
1-Newbie

Went thruthis issue also. Initially our system was set up in that all users of a group would recieve the promo request, but onlyoneapproval was needed. Not really the best system because a ton a emails get generated and any user can promote something that really wasnt intended for them.

Wound up removing all users from the promotion approvers role and adding just the users who should be promoting to the workflow members role. When creating the promo request, the creater needs to select users from the select participants dialog box, and only users who have ability to promote show up. Now if only the select participants dialog box could default to users, that would be great.

There is a way to do this by tweaking the Workflow with a conditional router and manual or exclusive routing options to three activities each dedicated to a User, Group or a specific Role. Unfortunately, it will be a two-step process, initiate the PN, the workflow will send the initiator a task to select an Approver(s). I haven’t figured out how to embed the selection into the wizard.

sbugros
4-Participant

You are correct Robert. I just received this yesterday.

Hello Steven,

Unfortunately I don't think "select promotion participants" wizard is customizable. This wizard takes everyone from the context team (Roles, Groups and Users). Would it be ok with you if you don't add any user to any role at this step of the wizard. After that we can add a set up participant activity in the workflow itself to be sent to the creator (submitter) of promotion request to be able to choose the Approver from one role. I tested this and it works perfect:

[cid:image007.png@01CCE666.AF762530]

[cid:image008.png@01CCE666.AF762530]

[cid:image009.png@01CCE666.AF762530]

Top Tags