cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

is it possible to not re-publish when doing a move action?

Vermont_95
12-Amethyst

is it possible to not re-publish when doing a move action?

Hello everybody

I would like to avoid to republish all iterations of all moved articles.

If I do a move from one context to another one, the cad worker re-publish again all viewables of all items and on every iterations.

Apparently Windchill uses the rule publish on=unknown-source but I want to use this rule if I do a set state but not when I move items (whatever the state)

Any ideas?

thanks Veronique

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

if you do not republish, the representations will all have the wrong location meta-data on them once they are moved, but I could see the need to move first and publish later. you can find more details in this PTC TS Article - https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS74977

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

if you do not republish, the representations will all have the wrong location meta-data on them once they are moved, but I could see the need to move first and publish later. you can find more details in this PTC TS Article - https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS74977

Veronique,

Yes, this is preventable.

Move history is stored in the dB and there's a wvs.properties option, publish.service.filterpublishmethod.

These two could work together to determine if an object should be published on move or not.

As @ScottMorris there is the wrong location metadata issue but what could be addressed by either publishing only the latest rev's iteration on move or the latest iteration only of all revs on move.  I think this would be a pretty slick way to get the behavior you're looking for.

I've done stuff like this before.  Never with the move history but after seeing this post I did look at what it would take to write the code to prevent publishing on move and it's very doable including the part about publish only the latest iterations. The logic seems bombproof.

David

Top Tags