cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

"Latest" Where Used report

adawkins
1-Newbie

"Latest" Where Used report

We updated to Intralink 9.1 M040 from Intralink 3.4 in April. In general things have been going OK- the WAN performance is hugely better as we expected but users on the LAN are a bit annoyed with the number of menu click it takes to do simple tasks. I'm sure part of this is just a learning curve and attitudes will improve slowly but we've stumbled into a few major annoyances. One of these is the Where Used report which seems to be severely lacking in functionality compared with Intralink 3.4. It would behelpful if you could Add to workspace or do any other operation from it (like the BOM structure report), but our major concern is the inability to tell where a file is currently being used. An example:

PART1 is used in ASM 1 both are checked in at version 1.0

ASM1 is checked out and changed so it is no longer using PART1 and checked in at 1.1. A structure report on ASM1 1.1 does not show PART1.

If you chose PART1 and do a where used report, ASM1 shows up as version 1.0. There doesn't seem to be anyway to not show this dependency or to flag it as a not-latest dependency.

When an engineer replaces a part here, he wants to replace it everywhere it is currently being used so he does a Where Used report. Now he needs to go to the details of each object that shows up on the Where used report and see if it's the latest in the database. With one Where Used dependency this is annoying. With 50 Where Used dependencies, this is a several hour task.

Has anyone else run into this and figured out a way to flag which items are latest? The PTC techsupportcustomization team didn't think there was a supported way to customize this but maybe there's something unsupported?

Abby Dawkins

MCAD Support

KLA-Tencor Corp

(408)875-5892

5 REPLIES 5

The table "where used" on a CAD document is a JCA table, unfortunately it is not configured with custom views that might of helped you, but the good thing about these tables is that it is possible to modify/add them relatively easily. So for example adding the "add to workspace" button could be just a question of updating the actions XML with the action and testing (in JCA tables/trees we developed, which displayed CAD Document, adding that button just worked).

I should be possible to update the ootb table with a new column to do what you want, so at least the engineers could sort on it.

Otherwise, it is only a few days work to add an extended where used table to include information that you need and therefore not touch ootb behaviour.

Probably what I am suggesting here comes under the "unsupported" type of customisation

BTW I looked at PDMLink whichI am guessing is the same

If it is a JCA table I think you can set a property configurable to be
true and you can then customize it. You may need to add an ID can't
remember off the top of my head.

Steve D.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 29, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Simon Heath <simonh@wincom-consulting.co.uk <br="/> > wrote:

> The table "where used" on a CAD document is a JCA table,
> unfortunately it is not configured with custom views that might of
> helped you, but the good thing about these tables is that it is
> possible to modify/add them relatively easily. So for example adding
> the "add to workspace" button could be just a question of updating
> the actions XML with the action and testing (in JCA tables/trees we
> developed, which displayed CAD Document, adding that button just
> worked).
>
> I should be possible to update the ootb table with a new column to
> do what you want, so at least the engineers could sort on it.
>
> Otherwise, it is only a few days work to add an extended where used
> table to include information that you need and therefore not touch
> ootb behaviour.
>
> Probably what I am suggesting here comes under the "unsupported"
> type of customisation
>
> BTW I looked at PDMLink which I am guessing is the same
>
>
> Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new
> post via email Unsubscribe from this mailling list Manage your
> subscription
>
> Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
>

Good point, you will need a valid ID but maybe you can reuse the CAD structure one. Then you will get customizable columns, and maybe one of thesewill help you. All this depends on the "where used" being the same as PDMLink, anyone know if that is true?

It should be the same. If the table doesn't have an ID you can assign
your own.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Simon Heath <simonh@wincom- <br="/>consulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Good point, you will need a valid ID but maybe you can reuse the CAD
> structure one. Then you will get customizable columns, and maybe one
> of these will help you. All this depends on the "where used" being
> the same as PDMLink, anyone know if that is true?
> Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new
> post via email Unsubscribe from this mailling list Manage your
> subscription
>
> Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
>

Abby,

Have you had any luck creating a Where Used report that only shows Parents if they are the "Latest" version of that object?

We need this also!

Steve

Trane

Announcements

Top Tags