cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

windchill 11 enhancements

cbrosig
1-Newbie

windchill 11 enhancements

Hello,

are there any enhancement details released yet?

If so it would be great and I would be much appreciated if someone have something like slides or stuff and if they could share it.

I couldn´t find something in the knowledge base.

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:cbrosig)

Jennifer Pierron‌ has been posting little blurbs here and there.

Improved workspace performance

Performance: Number of Objects in Workspace - PTC Community

Start a promotion request as part of check-in

Being able to start a promotion from my workspace ... - PTC Community

Rename multiple unrelated CAD documents

Renaming multiple objects in Windchill 10.0 - PTC Community

Revise only the latest version of a part associated to a CAD document

Re: Enhancements to Revise Part and CAD Documents ... - PTC Community

Choose part sub-type when creating association

Auto Associate from ProE Workspace (or any 3rd par... - PTC Community

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Helloe Christian

I am also very much interested. We are finalising our PLM evaluation and Vendor proposed 10.2. When I mentioned 11 (as Go Live and even Test server will not be available before February or MArch next year), They say, Oh we do not even know when it goes out.....) but I would hope that 11 will be a similar improvement jump as from 9 to 10.

The release F000 is supposed to be due in December so surely PTC already know very well what is in 11

Best regards

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Jennifer Pierron‌ has been posting little blurbs here and there.

Improved workspace performance

Performance: Number of Objects in Workspace - PTC Community

Start a promotion request as part of check-in

Being able to start a promotion from my workspace ... - PTC Community

Rename multiple unrelated CAD documents

Renaming multiple objects in Windchill 10.0 - PTC Community

Revise only the latest version of a part associated to a CAD document

Re: Enhancements to Revise Part and CAD Documents ... - PTC Community

Choose part sub-type when creating association

Auto Associate from ProE Workspace (or any 3rd par... - PTC Community

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom.

Thanks for noticing.

I would add there is one more big theme that I worked on (I am not the only PO at PTC) and that is improvements to naming and numbering:

I worked on a theme that many customers like to have the CAD Doc File Name == CAD Doc Number == "Base Number" of the related Part.  With this in mind, Windchill 11.0 allows you to:

• Consistently keep the extension in Generated CAD Document Numbers:   Upload, New CAD Document, Save As, Rename will all follow a server-side preference Drop File Extension From Number.  If set to No, then even if the OIRs are set up to generate number, you can have the system generate the number with the appropriate file extension.
  • Auto Associate to Create Parts based on CAD Document Number even if OIR for Part is to Generate Number:   Most customers I speak with are a mix of top down and bottom up part creation.  In Windchill 11.0, if your OIRs generate Part number; but it does NOT have an immutable constraint AND the server-side preference, Force Create Autonumbered Parts is set to No, then we shall use the CAD Document's Number instead of generating a new number.
  • Improvements to Auto Associate to support multiple CAD Documents associated to the same part:  When you have the policy that CAD Doc File Name == CAD Doc Number == "Base Number", the CAD Document number will have additional info make it unique (e.g.  extension, prefix or suffix:  001234.prt, 001234_flex001.prt, 001234.drw).  In 11.0, you can set a new server-side preference to use the CAD Doc's base number to find the matching part number.  The out of the box behavior would associate/create one Part for 001234.prt, 001234_flex001.prt, 001234.drw numbered 001234.  The behavior for finding the "base number" is configurable.
  • Improvements to Rename to support multiple CAD Documents with the same base number as the Part:  As stated above, When you have the policy that CAD Doc File Name == CAD Doc Number == "Base Number", the CAD Document number will have additional info make it unique (e.g.  extension, prefix or suffix:  001234.prt, 001234_flex001.prt, 001234.drw).   It is hard to keep these in sync with the changing Part numbers.  Rename will have a new option to "Generate document number based on related Part".   This option will find the Part and CAD Document's base number and then will replace the CAD Doc's base number with the Part's base number.

I hope you are excited about Windchill 11.0 and for those who are involved in Technical committees, there will be more details in those meetings.

Thanks

Jennifer

Too bad it won't help us at all since we don't use WTParts.  Not good.

ChrisPLM
9-Granite
(To:STEVEG)

Steve,

we know about it, you must have been posting this comment at least 3 times

In the past I have had developed for me scripts to mass rename EPM, WTpart and WTdocument.

I needed to create a csv file listing NUMBER; NEW NUMBER; NEW NAME, NEW FILENAME (depending on what was required) and the script renamed this.

We developed it as we had 10s of thousands of objects to rename but we ended up using it also for a few files too.

Anyway, it looks that PTC will not create a patch to allow mass rename in your current version of PDMLink  too bad

Have a nice weekend all

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:ChrisPLM)

Sorry.  Got several things going on and forgetting what I wrote.  Getting older but not smarter.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:STEVEG)

Chris C‌ has a good memory.  I noticed this also.    3 times in recent memory - 4 times total.

1. 2014-Feb-17: Disposition for CAD Files - PTC Community
  2. 2015-Jul-07: Display LifeCycle State in "Where used" tab. - PTC Community
  3. 2015-Oct-01:  Enable the ability to Rename multiple unrelated ob... - PTC Community
  4. 2015-Oct-01:  Renaming multiple objects in Windchill 10.0 - PTC Community

FYI... Ryan Kelley‌, do you know that a URL such as Disposition for CAD Files - PTC Community‌‌ converts to Disposition for CAD Files - PTC Community‌ (like #1 above), but Idea URLs such as #2, #3, and #4 above do not convert?  Why not?

If the comment portion of the URL is left off, then it works.  See:  Display LifeCycle State in "Where used" tab. - PTC Community converts to Display LifeCycle State in "Where used" tab. - PTC Community‌ but then it does not jump to the comment.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenPerry)

Ben Perry‌,

The trick with the URLs it to remove the "comment" portion (or in the case of discussions, go to the original question).  Then they will auto-convert.

Display LifeCycle State in "Where used" tab.

Enable the ability to Rename multiple unrelated objects that already exist in the Windchill PDMLink Commonspace

Renaming multiple objects in Windchill 10.0

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Right - I understand that.  But to me it seems like a bug if it works for Discussions, but not for Ideas.  And it might be desirable to link to a comment rather than the discussion or idea itself.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:BenPerry)

I'll stop saying it when people (aka PTC) remembers it.

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Thanks Tom

it looks as if the interface will pretty much look the same and for most users there will not be much changes compare to the big gap between 9.1 and 10.0.

Maybe I am wrong...

It also seems that PTC has not yet released any video of their prototype, but if so, they are hard to find..

Best regards

As Jennifer mentioned, the enhancements go beyond CAD and part management. There are several changes that will affect all end users -- the advanced search page has been overhauled, customizable action groups on users Home pages, extended Internet Explorer support. The UI is a little prettier, but it's not the same kind of leap we saw from 9.1 to 10.0.

's post in is accurate with regards to the Java applets that are being replaced. Changes to the Report Management utility (the query builder) go beyond a Java-to-HTML conversion. The UI is a lot more intuitive and has various enhancements.

The "New and Changed" section we have in our 11.0 help center is pretty large - about 150 entries (some small, some large, some solution-specific). Plus an additional 28 for WGM. The corresponding PDF has been generated as well. It won't be available for download until 11.0 is released, but the point is that we have some materials available internally. I'm sure marketing or someone will put together a presentation at some point.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

I'll be interested in seeing the improvements and settings in managing the output from the Publisher for lightweight images which should also provide performance improvements in the visualization area of the Windchill structure tab and MPMLink. 

ddemay
1-Newbie

One of the best ways to do this is pay attention to the SPR's and articles via subscription that target X30, the code name for WC11.  The best way is too mention product owners as content in your post presuming you know who these folks are.  Your technical support reps, depending on maintenance levels can also get you in touch with these folks.

DaveEngel
5-Regular Member

So when is the release date for Windchill 11.0? PTC's Calendar says "December", it is December.

Technically, I guess they have until the 31st at midnight...

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mdebower)

Looking at the Product Calendar, Creo Parametric has an actual date assigned for future releases.

Windchill 11 only has the month and year.

Could PTC delay it? Yes

We have already been over 2 years since 10.2 was initially released.

We pay annual maintenance for what????

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

We pay annual maintenance for what????

So you can talk to tech support and either have SPRs get filed or be told to create new ideas on the community. 

Seriously, the last I heard the release date has indeed been pushed back to December 31st.

DaveEngel
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

It already has been delayed, it was to be 10.3 released a few months ago.  I wonder if they decided to call it 11.0 when they started adding in all the IoT type connections etc. and had to delay it to work in all those goodies?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:DaveEngel)

Just what I don't need...things that require me to be connected to the Internet to use.

I work with classified data and my Windchill system is not connected to the internet.

The opening of a helpdesk call is always a chore. They call back and their first question is, "Can we do WebEx session?"  Uhhh, NO!!

What about joining the PTC telecast

PTC Windchill 11 Launch Event | PTC

Windchill 11 has eleven new features, a new GUI style and some small enhancements. I haven't seen any spectacular news around it. For sure, there a some great new features like role based apps but first we need to see what the license model looks like. I'm pretty sure that the OOTB solution will be included and if you need to change anything then it costs too much for a SMB so they are forced to implement another solution like exporting the viewables to a file system.... The new search looks promising and also the new Report Builder (Query Builder) looks nice. It looks like PTC has changed the UI to another coding. Perhaps we see this UI more often in Windchill...? I would hope so.

I still hope that PTC doesn't forget the two main products like PDMLink and Creo. At the moment I have honestly some concerns about that. There are still some old school applets (Only admins needs to use them) and I haven't still heard anything reliable that Creo View is replaced by a HTML5 Viewer... One source told me, that something is planed in Windchill 11 M020. So this will take another year until Creo View plugin is replaced. Until then, most customer are sticked to IE 11 or Firefox since Chrome isn't supported anymore.

At PTCLiveWorx in Stuttgart one question was, that over 1500 ideas have the state open in this ptcusercommunity. PTC promised to change something in the workflow in the next few month. I'm curious about it.

Top Tags