cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

wt.folder.pageLimit

imendiola
12-Amethyst

wt.folder.pageLimit

Hi all,

we have a PDMLink 8M050 installation, and some Products containing 30K+ objects. Navigating through the folders of those products, users get a page limit exceeded error (even if the user have rights to see only 15 items inside the product) and some of the subsequent navigations through other folders return erroneus "file" lists too... (it seems to query for all the objects and then filter the result with the rights of the user)

Talking with PTC, they said to use wt.folder.pageLimit property (default to 15000), but this could affect the performance of the system. The other approach would be to use wt.folder.OneLevel property, which is very "ugly" for the users because it is not a "natural" navigation through lots of folders.

I know that PDMLink 9 modifies the navigation through folder, but I would like to know how you manage this kind of problem in your installations. Perhaps someone has anoteher solution for this, or someone is working with a bigger pageLimit without decreasing its performance...

Any comment will be apreciated. Thanks.

Iker Mendiola

Prambanan IT Services
http://en.prambanan-it.com

http://www.prambanan-it.comIker Mendiola - Prambanan IT Services
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Iker,

We get this messages for smaller folders, but member of a bigger
product.

Apart from this, the solutions is, to may advice to our users, not to
browse anymore, but to search for information. Browsing through folder
structures is a bad habbit, from an era where this was the only approach
to access data. Searching require some training and education, but is
faster and richer then browsing.

From this perspective, I advice my organisation to translate a
conventional folderstructure into Windchill attributes. Folders are
reserved to fine tune the access rights, attributes allow users to
organise and access their documents.

Regards, Hugo.

Browsing thru folders is the problem - encourage all to always search - and make major use of saved searches.
Top Tags