cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

File wouldn't open

ptc-4282174
1-Newbie

File wouldn't open

Hello,

For some reason, my mathcad file keeps crashing. I've tried autosave but for some reason, those wouldn't open either. I've been working around this by manually creating a back-up file every 4 hours. I've been working on this file for around a week now with constant crashes.

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this ? Is there a way to open this file and recover what's inside ? The file is attached.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4282174)

Try using the attached. The worksheet is self explanatory

Mike

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hello!

Which version of Mathcad are you using? The file contained only calculations, or it has been Excel components, images?

I'm using Mathcad 15.

The file contains mostly calculations including some if statements, but I've included some pictures for illustration purposes, which is why it's about 1.5 MB I think. (I'm not sure why it's showing 897.4K there. Maybe because it's a zip file now ?)

I'm experimenting with radio buttons and list box/combo box to restrict the user's input, since this is a template file. I'm not sure if this is what is causing the problems. For some reason, I can't just click "Insert" -> "Control" -> "Radio Button". Nothing will show up. So what I did was I clicked on "Insert" -> "Control" -> "Web Control". With this, a dialog box will come up and I just followed the instructions provided and select accordingly.

Pictures for some reason slow Mathcad down and confuew it; I have a few files that take an enormously long time to open, recompute, and save. Since Mathcad is now an HTM format, is there an opportunity to open this document in an editor (other than Mathcad) and strip out the pictures?

I wasn't aware of that. What would you recommend to do if I'd like to attach pictures with the document so that this issue doesn't come up again?

I've just tried opening the file in Firefox and Internet Explorer, changing the extension to htm, html and xml. It still wouldn't open the file.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Have you tried using Stuart's recovery file?

Mike

No, I haven't. I'm not actually sure what you mean. Is it some sort of program? How do I get it?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Try using the attached. The worksheet is self explanatory

Mike

Thanks for the file! I've just tried it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

FileName := "Anchor Bolts 318-11 (Backup).xmcd".

Then, I went to the "Process File" area.

xmcddata:=fileread(FileName)

The error said "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

As a result, everything else is unreadable. I've tried this with other files too. (I've created an empty file and tested it. Did not work) Could it be my installation?

Every now and then I would encounter the same error on the radio buttons and the list/combo box that I have in the mathcad file. Then, I would have to redo all the radio buttons and the list/combo box in the file so that the error doesn't come up. Is it my installation of mathcad ?

Thanks!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

FileName := "Anchor Bolts 318-11 (Backup).xmcd".

Firstly you need to remove the extension (.xmcd)

Then open the collasped area 'Recovery Functions' and right click on each of the scripted components and select edit script and hit apply. This need to be done when they throw an error.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have managed to recover some of the file, but not all of it. There 317 regions in your file. The attached only has 140 of those regions. The problem seems to be between +140.

Mike

Now I have managed to recover the following

Regions

0 - 150

280 - 317

Mike

Last One. It seems the problem region is between 150 and 210. I have attached the worksheet with the regions which can be recovered.

I would also suggest reducing the size of the Mathcad files. Change the tpye of images.

Mike

Thank you so much!

I've tried using the sheet again doing it based on your instructions. It works great! I've now recovered most of my files except from line 150 to 160. It probably takes 10 mins to correct those. I'll come back and post if I ever understand why it wouldn't open.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Fantastic. That is a superb worksheet provided by Stuart.

There could be a number of reasons why that section throws an error. At least you recovered most of the sheet.

Mike

I couldn't open the worksheet either in M15.

Mike

Just thought I'll give an update.

I've found the offending issue on region 150 and 151.

Region 150 is an "Area" line

Region 151 is a picture of a table.

Looks like mathcad doesn't like the combination of these two.

The only thing is, I've got an older version of the file with exactly the same 2 regions, and I can open it. I guess Mathcad got confused, like Fred said?

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Top Tags