cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Arc Length Dimension

jwilkerson
1-Newbie

Arc Length Dimension

Is there a way to put an arc lenght dimension in a drawing? In the attached drawing, I need to give our shop the arc length dimension for the 30 degree angle on the inside surface of the shell.

I am finding the drawing side of ProE very hard to use. Almost considering staying with AutoCAD.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Release: Wildfire 4.0

Date Code: M100

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

You are supposed to click each end of the arc, followed by the arc
itself, and the place the arc length dim as normal. I don't think that
you can use this in sketcher mode, only drawing mode.

I haven't tested it in a while, WF5 docs agree with the above method...

Chris, Jody, All: Wildfire 5 has a new Arc Length dimensionyou can create in Sketcher.The picks are: Arc, Endpoint 1, Endpoint 2, MMB to place it. The Arc Angle dimension from earlier releaseshas been changed to any combination of: Arc Center Point, Endpoint 1, Endpoint 2. Depending on the order, you get a different angle dimension. In Wildfire 4(and WF5) drawing mode, creating a dimension and selecing Arc, Endpoint 1, Endpoint2, MMB will present a menu with choices for Arc Length or Arc Angle. Different from Sketcher ... Arggggh, but this should be what you need! Also, it is notablethat the Arc Length dimension has the "Universally Understood Arc Length" icon hovering over the value in the drawing (WF4/WF5)or in Sketcher (WF5). Note: These WF4 to WF5 changes (and many, many others) are included in the Update training manual at this location:

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

I don't have an arc that is between the two axis that is the length that I need. The outside shell is a full circle and I have two axis that give me the 30 degree angle.

Do I need to sketch an arc between the two axis that is on the inside surface of the shell? I have been trying to do this, but haven't been able to get the arc that I need. I can't get the ends of the arc to "snap" to the intersections of the axis and the shell. How do I pick intersections in the drawing mode?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jody

Update:

I finally got an arc sketch where I want the arc length dimension, but when I try to put the dimension on it, it picks everything other than the arc that I just sketched. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Any thoughts?

Jody

UPDATE:

Thanks again to everyone for your help and encouragement. I finally got what I needed although not parametrically, it will get the dimension on the drawing so the shop can place the parts in the right spot. Here are the steps I went through.

1. I drew a arc on top of the surface line that I wanted to measure using the parametric sketch.

2. Since I could not select the newly created arc while in the dimension command, I copied it and move it to where the arc was the only thing selectable.

3. I related the copied arc to the view, to get the correct dimensioned length.

4. I then made the arc length dimension.

5. Created another 30 degree dimension on my two axis and then changed the text to the match the arc length.

Maybe one of these days I will figure out how to get it tied to the model, but this will work for now.

Thanks again for eveybody's help. Especially the tip to head to the bar. The beer was cold and took my mind off ProE for a while.

Top Tags