cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

*.CREO file created when opeing *.SLDPRT files?

DJHyp
4-Participant

*.CREO file created when opeing *.SLDPRT files?

First question from a Creo newbie:

I noticed when opening old SolidWorks .SLDPRT files, Creo Parametric (v10.0.1.0) deposits a .CREO file in the same directory as the part. This file doesn't show up when using the file browser in Creo and isn't associated with anything. I couldn't find any explanation of it. Could someone let me know what these files are and if they can be deleted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:DJHyp)

They are the Creo version of the Solidworks file. When you open a Solidworks file in Creo, the software does an internal file conversion. You can delete them, but the next time you open the same Solidworks file, another .creo file will be created. I just tried to rename it a Creo file (.prt) but that file will fail to open.

Since we use a lot of parameters and relations in our start files, I tell my users to NEVER open a foreign file directly in Creo. Create a new creo file and then Import the foreign file into that file. This saves time in getting the files to meet our company standards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:DJHyp)

They are the Creo version of the Solidworks file. When you open a Solidworks file in Creo, the software does an internal file conversion. You can delete them, but the next time you open the same Solidworks file, another .creo file will be created. I just tried to rename it a Creo file (.prt) but that file will fail to open.

Since we use a lot of parameters and relations in our start files, I tell my users to NEVER open a foreign file directly in Creo. Create a new creo file and then Import the foreign file into that file. This saves time in getting the files to meet our company standards.

DJHyp
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Oh thank you for the additional point about creating a new file first, THEN importing.

Top Tags