cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Cannot edit features or insert new features when part is in a simp rep

Atlas_8850
7-Bedrock

Cannot edit features or insert new features when part is in a simp rep

As the title says, when I'm in a Simp Rep of a part, I cannot edit any features or move the insert line / rollback bar. Is this... normal? Surely Creo doesn't only allow features to be edited in the Master Rep, right? That would be a complete mess to work with. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

This is correct.  Edit Definition and Insert Here are not available while a Simplified Representation.  Both commands do not appear in the context specific menus and Edit Definition is grayed out along with many other feature operations under Model > Operations.

Dynamic Edit/Edit Dimensions is still available though.

Michael Bennett

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

it would be helpful if you create test model and upload it.

Martin Hanák

It happens on every part I make, and for some reason, PTC won't let me upload a part to this reply. I'm working in Windchill, and the only way to save a part out of Windchill is to save a backup, which makes it FILENAME.PRT.1, and this forum doesn't accept .1 filetypes. Is nothing easy with Creo? 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Atlas_8850)

Rename the file to remove the '.1' so the extension is just '.prt' or zip the file before uploading the zip file.

Ah, ZIP file, good point. Funny enough though, if I rename the file to just .PRT, the forum tells me, "The attachment's pin_example_simpreps.prt content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed." So yeah, good guy PTC, keeping their users safe from PTC's own bad file formats. Anyway, the part is now attached in a ZIP file. Select the non-Master simp rep, then try to edit the definition of Extrude 1: it doesn't let me. 

Hello,

This is correct.  Edit Definition and Insert Here are not available while a Simplified Representation.  Both commands do not appear in the context specific menus and Edit Definition is grayed out along with many other feature operations under Model > Operations.

Dynamic Edit/Edit Dimensions is still available though.

Michael Bennett

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Atlas_8850)

Working to product specification.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS322177

In order to modify the body, the software needs the full geometry loaded. A simplified rep does not load the full body of the model, so the software needs to load it all before making any changes.

Top Tags