cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Change default tolerances via a mapkey?

Mark_Ganzer
10-Marble

Change default tolerances via a mapkey?

Anyone found a way to change default model tolerances via a mapkey? You have to enter the edit dimension mode to be able to click on and change tolerances in graphics window. The model feature clicked will always be different. Even if I get into edit dimensions mode, a mapkey to just change default tolerances will not work. It won't click on default tolerances in the graphics window. Default tolerances are not listed in the parameters either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Mark_Ganzer)

You can create a "config_tol.pro" file with the tolerances you want to specify and use a mapkey to load it.

linear_tol 0 1.5
linear_tol_0.0 0.8
linear_tol_0.00 0.25
linear_tol_0.000 0.030
linear_tol_0.0000 0.0050
linear_tol_0.00000 0.00050
linear_tol_0.000000 0.000075

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kdirth
20-Turquoise

You can create a "config_tol.pro" file with the tolerances you want to specify and use a mapkey to load it.

linear_tol 0 1.5
linear_tol_0.0 0.8
linear_tol_0.00 0.25
linear_tol_0.000 0.030
linear_tol_0.0000 0.0050
linear_tol_0.00000 0.00050
linear_tol_0.000000 0.000075

Tried that. Problem is that will not over-ride the default tolerances in the start part.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

You can do the same thing with the Tolerance Standard (File > Prepare > Model Properties > Tolerancing Standard).  Create a new tolerance table (save and modify current table in notepad) and create a mapkey to retrieve it and set the Class.

@Mark_Ganzer wrote:

Tried that. Problem is that will not over-ride the default tolerances in the start part.

Hi,

I guess the only solution is to open start part and change ANSI tolerance values manually.

Martin Hanák

Please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS322432 article.

Martin Hanák

If you need to change the number of decimal places in the tolerance you are screwed as far as I know.

ie. Tol 0.00 0.2 to tol 0.00 0.25 . I think that the no go. 

It's here is the proper syntax

You can change it with mapkeys in the below doc as long as you do not need to change the number of decimal places.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/HELP-Mapkey-to-record-edit-of-infamous-linear-tol-0-0-and/td-p/754584

End result is some things can only be fixed by making a new start part with the tol settings set to what you want in your config before starting the new empty part.

I would consider this a bug. PTC may call it a feature that is not part of the current spec and program is working as intended. Lol.

Maybe there is a secret fix code that's not published that sets all tol settings to the current config file settings. A guy can dream. Although maybe I'd rather not know since I already reconstructed all the start parts to fix this, then again there will probably be a next time.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BG_9869104)

@BG_9869104 

I look at this problem from a multiple user standpoint. We have users doing weldments, assemblies, highly machined parts, electrical. Each one has there own tolerances.

If a user who does machined parts normally needs to open a big welded assembly drawing and he was using a set of tolerances that was really tight, I would never want the tolerances to simply update based on his config options. 

This is generally how PTC looks at drawings. They try their best to keep the models and drawings from changing based on random user settings. 

I agree that the tols should not change if a user with different config.pro settings opens parts, never suggested that.

The fix code are manually entered one time use code that are typically entered, applied, and then disappear from the config list. Ya, you can add multiple of them to a config and they would run every time that config was run. Fix codes are all advanced user/admin type stuff. Not something many should be doing.

The problem is if there is an error or the tols need updated for a particular prt/asm some changes are not reachable. Only option is to start a new empty file with the tols setup the desired way then bring all data into the new empty file. That can be quite the challenge if its not just a simple part. 

Top Tags