cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo 2.0 -How to create a drawing template(borders)??!!

ptc-4652905
1-Newbie

Creo 2.0 -How to create a drawing template(borders)??!!

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have blank sheets for all my drawings and no idea how to create metric templates. I cant see a clear way to do it. I'm new to creo, coming from a UG background.

9 REPLIES 9

If you have the borders ready in UG, export it to a Dxf file. While in Drawing mode in Proe, begin a New FORMAT and then import the dxf file.

While in format you can also include parameters like sheet numbers.

Once the format is created, you can then create a Template using the format. A template would consist of editable entities. It can include entities like, drawing number, drawing name, drawn by etc.

A new drawing created can use the "TEMPLATE" created.

I know little about templates and in my business it is probably not useful but I should look into it more.

As for formats themselves, a few things you need to know:

1. there is a special format file (*.frm) that by default are located in the PTC folder. This is a straight forward "drawing" where you can "sketch" all your template geometry, insert logo pictures (never done that myself), import 2D data, and... this part is important... make tables.

2. All "relations" driven border data is entered in drawing tables. You cannot do this with ordinary text, only tables. Variables start with "&". These have to be added to your 3D files or you will be nagged... umm prompted to enter the data when you start a new drawing with said format.

3. Tables are reasonably powerful from being able to merge cells, format the text in the cells, and hide lines that shouldn't show up.

I spent 2 days making 5 formats from scratch for one client. Came out pretty nice if I do say so myself.

I've done NX... and formats was not something I enjoyed about that platform. It was all admin controlled.

I have all my templates in autocad and Inventor.

I have create a frm file with the export from the autocad files.

But now, how do I save it to use it like a template?...

Thanks

Place your new .frm files in the template folder and, once you reboot Creo, you will see them in the drop-downs.

You can also set the path in pro_format_dir in config.pro. This is preferred as application updates will delete all the folders in the installation location.

If you want to make the formats intelligent, you will need to build tables if you want to use variable field entries from part relations. It is quite a process if you need the intelligence.

This is my procedure for creating new formats in Creo:

-New, Format (give it a meaningful name & make sure you have a shared directory prepared, for the sake of having some hard numbers I'll describe a b-size, 11"x17") I try to have the size in the name somewhere, metric or std.

-Sketch, Line (sketch a rectangle .5" inside the drawing size, in this case from 0.5,0.5 to 16.5,10.5 (landscape)). I'll also sketch 1/4" "divider" lines at the 1/4 distance of each border line, e.g. 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4.

¡That's your basic border!

To create title blocks where parameters populate you need to create tables. Using an existing printed drawing I'll make logical divisions so the tables are easier to define & handle. Figure about 5 individual tables, e.g.: legal, tolerance, title, company, drawing details; whatever makes sense to you (at this time). Also notice dividing lines & alignment of text within individual tables; this will dictate the number of columns your starting table will need. You'll Merge & Blank lines to get the table to look proper in the end.

Typically the title or drawing details is the most difficult table so I'll cover that then the others will use only parts of what was already done. I'll use my companies format as an example, you have to modify to suit your company's needs.

Our title has 6 rows of texts (customer, 2 lines for description & 3 other lines for drawing info). The columns are where you need to calculate. Our customer & descriptions span the entire table so all the cells in those rows will be merged.

Next 2 rows from left to right are: "scale" with the drawing scale underneath; "sheet" # "of" # , over "units:" units; "dwg. file" file_name. "scale" would be one column. "sheet" # "of" # is 4 columns (sheet is one, # is one, of is one & the other # is one). "dwg. file" is one column & file_name is the last column. A total of 7 columns.

The last row is "do not scale", one column; "created by", one column; drawn_by, one column; "date", one column; todays_date, one column. A total of 5 columns.

This doesn't mean you are making a 6 row, 7 column table! You need to look & decide if you want your formating alignments between rows to match. In my case I added 2 more columns as drawn_by, "date:" & todays_date did not align with text from the rows above; so I created a 6 row, 10 column table.

(This column procedure can also apply to rows depending on horizontal alignments)

Now merge cells as dictated by text alignments not line visibility, e.g. merge all cells in the customer row but do not merge any of the cells in the "sheet" # "of" # although there are no lines there!

Type in your desired text. Any variable text needs to be entered as a parameter! &todays_date, &current_sheet, etc are internal parameters. &customer, &description, etc are user-defined parameters and need to be added to the model (either in start_part, mapkey or memory). Do not base alignments on parametric text.

Next select the whole table (usually several RMB clicks) so Line Display is "selectable" & Blank lines as desired.

Save the table in your format directory & correctly place the table you just defined in your format. I like to select the whole table, RMB the appropriate corner then Move Special so the table is exactly placed.

Another item to consider is the height of each table as some tables stack and others go the full height so I will modify row height so the overall heights & the stacked heights match exactly.

Save your format & you now have your first format ready to use.

Hello,

Were any of the replies helpful?  Did you find the answer you were looking for?  If so, please mark it as the correct answer, so others, who may have a similar question, can also find the solution.

Thanks.

I'm curious as to creation of templates. Not formats. In the Creo world a format is an important PART OF A TEMPLATE. The template is a format AND the many many options as to new view creation and line preferences for tangent and hidden etc. Not just the silly border of the drawing with a few tables and notes.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:vincecatlin)

You need to tell Creo that you are doing a template.

Open a new drawing blank with no format.

Click on Tools and change from Drawing to Template. This tells Creo you are doing a template.

Go to Layout and Overlay, Add Overlay and Place Sheet. Select your drawing format and then Done.

Then Save A Copy to your template name which will a .drw file.

Top Tags