cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creo Parametric Community Challenge 2 - Isogrid on a Curved Surface

DaveMartin
16-Pearl

Creo Parametric Community Challenge 2 - Isogrid on a Curved Surface

This month’s challenge is based on a modeling problem I’ve seen throughout my decades in aerospace. An isogrid is a repeating rib structure that adds strength with low additional mass. Although it may appear simple, modeling it in CAD can be difficult, especially when you need to place it on a non-planar surface.

DaveMartin_0-1695670569665.jpeg

Public domain image courtesy of NASA and Wikimedia Commons.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is as follows:

• Beginner to intermediate: Model an isogrid on a flat surface.
  • Expert: create an isogrid on a cylindrical, conical, or radome surface. The isogrid can have a size / spacing of your choice and can be placed on the interior or exterior surface. (If placing on the interior, I highly recommend creating a cross section to make it visible.)
  • Optional: add fillets to the interior “vertical” edges.

For this challenge, you can choose to ignore the center circular post and hole as depicted in the pictures. You can focus on the vertical sides of the isogrid triangles. (Of course, you can always challenge yourself by including those circular posts and holes.)

How would you do this in Creo Parametric? Would you use a profile rib, trajectory rib, extruded protrusion, extruded cut, datum curves, surfaces, pattern, toroidal bend, or some other feature? (Most likely, it would be a combination of two or more of these.) The sides of the triangles in the isogrid can either be connected or they can be disjointed (as in the image below).

An optional Creo Parametric 2.0 model has been attached with a radome part model as a starting point if you choose to use it. As creating the isogrid all the way to the tip can be challenging to say the least, a suppressed Solidify feature has been included that removes it.

DaveMartin_1-1695670569675.png

Public domain image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Please submit a part or zip file of your submission as a reply to this post and indicate which version of Creo Parametric was used to create it. Also, please include an image in your reply to this post. This challenge will close on Friday, November 6th.

DaveMartin_2-1695670569678.jpeg

Example of a radome on the nose of an aircraft. Image courtesy of Kentaro Iemoto and Wikimedia Commons shared under CC BY-SA 2.0.

Additional examples of isogrids on curved surfaces can be found here and here.

Find the PTC Creo Community Challenge Guidelines here!

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
32 REPLIES 32

Thank you to all our participants and people following the challenge. The results blog will be posted in about a week. Stay tuned for the next challenge scheduled to open on November 13th!

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

Hello fellow engineers! Unfortunately, I have missed this challenge. However, I still would like to share some of my work. This is not an aerospace problem (not a rocket science:) and I am sharing this to simply demonstrate how CREO helped me one day.

I once faced a similar problem with producing a grid, working for plastic roto-moulding facility that produces outdoor furniture. There was a challenging moment with making a tufted couch. I was really amazed how powerful is CREO with patterns. I attach pictures below. 

Simply wanted to share my case and say thanks to CREO team. Great product that allows one to create whatever he or she wants. 

VP_10862166_0-1700214521206.png

VP_10862166_2-1700214575677.jpeg

VP_10862166_4-1700214674096.png

Thanks to everyone who participated in the 2nd Creo Community Challenge! Participant badges have been delivered to all who submitted!

Dave's solutions blog is now live on ptc.com: Isogrid on a Curved Surface Solutions

Challenge 03: Isogrids is now live and submissions are open until December 22nd. Give it a try!

Top Tags