cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Custom Simp. Rep creates a Dependency in Part

Ben8
6-Contributor

Custom Simp. Rep creates a Dependency in Part

Hi,

My goal is to clearly have the presence of external references in the part visible by having "Dependency status" column in the model tree. This way if i create an external reference in the part, this column would have "Dependent" written on it. 

However, I noticed that if I create a new simplified rep in the part, then it automatically shows as "Dependent" in the "Dependency status" column. What is even more interesting - when I activate the Master rep, the "Dependent" status goes away; when I activate my new rep again - the "Dependent" comes back. 

As per this article here: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS67430 , the "Dependency" is always external. This makes me think that this may be not intended software behaviour, because I am creating a rep within the same part, and not initiating any external dependency.

Could somebody please comment on why this is happening, and potentially how to create a custom rep in a part without having "Dependent" status popping up?

Alternatively, if it is not possible / is a software glitch; can someone please suggest a clear distinctive alternative method how to immediatelly see  the external reference presence within the part, without going to reference viewer?

I am using Creo 9.0.3

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Ben8)

I don't disagree. I think mine test is as minimum as it gets so I don't think you are missing anything, it looks like it is just the way it works.

You should contact PTC support to get good clarification on the reasoning or if it is a bug, maybe they start a SPR to fix it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ben8
6-Contributor

Just bumping up this question since its been a few weeks. Hopefully somebody can comment on it 🤔

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I duplicated your result (creo 6)

It does seem odd that it shows the dependent status. Only thing I can thing of is the specific rep is dependent on the master rep.

I included images. If this is not what you are referring, Please clarify

StephenW_0-1711128022008.png
StephenW_1-1711128030700.png

Ben8
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

Thank you for checking this. Yes - it is exactly what I mean, I should have created a screenshot myself - thanks for doing that for me.

I see your logic for custom rep being dependant on master rep, but my understanding is that dependencies are by-definition external, therefore this (IMHO) shouldn't be happening. Am I missing something?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't disagree. I think mine test is as minimum as it gets so I don't think you are missing anything, it looks like it is just the way it works.

You should contact PTC support to get good clarification on the reasoning or if it is a bug, maybe they start a SPR to fix it.

Ben8
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

Thank you Stephen; this gives me some confidence that it is the software and not me misunderstanding this.

Regarding the PTC support - im working at a company branch which is in another country from it's headquarters and the support therefore is limited, but hopefully I will be able to discuss this sooner or later with PTC.

I accepted your comment as a solution.

Top Tags