cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Drawing/Drafting specific questions on this PTC Community?

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Drawing/Drafting specific questions on this PTC Community?

I know that PTC doesn't want anyone using drawings (and want everything in 3D), but where do we put questions that are specific to drawings until we reach that idealistic perspective of CAD?

Why is there now community specific to Drawings?!?  Or have I missed it and it is here?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
13 REPLIES 13

Lawrence,

You can ask your drawing related questions here.  In the general Creo community.

Thanks,

Amit

Ok, thanks.  Do you know why there is not a community for drafting/detailing?  Creating drawings is a thing of its own and where many people spend the most time.  It seems like it should have a spot specific to it.

Toby Metcalf‌ should be able to address this.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:LawrenceS)

It's certainly true that a decent fraction of the threads are about detailing.  I was surprised by the omission myself.  I'd think the main factors to consider in whether to add it would be 1) would people actually notice and use it, or mis-post to the wrong forum? and 2) would people be interested in subscribing to one but not the other?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mender)

I like the idea of a dedicated Creo Parametric Drawing area in the community.

Good day Lawrence,

Amit Deshpande‌ is right with his suggestion of the main Creo community.

Ensuring discussions and answers are easy to find is a focus of mine and I am very open to suggestions from community members.

I am focusing on our upgrade of Jive so it is not the right time to create a new sub-community.

In the meantime, I could create a drafting category within Creo so posters can tag (and search) - sound good?

Best,

Toby

PS - there is a category for "Sketch," is that helpful?

Toby, how would that show up if you did that?  Would it just be under the tagging at the bottom?  Also, would everything previous to you doing that remain outside the that forum?

It seems like something would be better than nothing, if we all new to look for it and to use it...Other opinions?

I would definitely vote to have a separate area for Drawing / Detailing under Creo.

PS. I think sketch is just for the model sketcher, which is entirely different than the drawing.  Ironically for many things the model sketcher actually is superior to the drawing sketcher (you would think they would share their knowledge between departments! ).

mender
6-Contributor

We've contemplated it, but drawing's sketcher needs to handle things like IGES import drawings with 100k draft entities, and having multiple distinct independent sketches at once.  Sketcher is good at a number of things, but scaling and dealing with multiple instances are not its strengths.

Hmm.  Now that you mentioned it, I did try playing around with using Creo for modeling a house.  I certainly had a lot of trouble once I hit a certain amount of sketch entities in a single sketching feature.  that being said when we do have a lot of draft entities on a drawing it really take a long time to even select them (as for a move).  Creo doesn't seem to handle that well either, although it is better than sketch for that.

hn.a
4-Participant

Yes, I request PTC and Admin of PTC User Community to add a Sub-Section for Drawing under Creo to share/discuss drawing/detailing related issues.

Tom Uminn‌ has pointed out, this idea exists, please vote here Add PTC Creo Drawings to Community Help

Top Tags