cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Exclude pattern members based on external input

Bas
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Exclude pattern members based on external input

I'm trying to automate the process of setting up an assembly which has a configurable pattern of components of which a number of members need to be excluded.

A customer can choose any number of rows and columns for the green rectangles A.

The bigger rectangle B can change position and size (or not be there at all) and is the region which should not be filled with rectangles A. 

Bas_0-1684232423200.png

Manually this can easily be achieved by making a Direction Pattern and clicking each dot that falls in region B. However I want to automate this and create the pattern based on input parameters. 

Fixed values: size of A, spacing in X and Y direction between rectangles A.

Input parameters: number of instances in X and Y direction of A, position and size of rectangle B

Explored options:

- Fill Pattern: would be the perfect solution except for the fact that the spacing in X and Y directions is always equal. Which is not the case for us.

- Table Pattern: If necessary it could be possible to create a table with all coordinates of the members in the pattern outside of Creo. However I can't find a way to use an external table or use the input parameters to fill an internal table to create the pattern.

What I would like is to have a parameter that is a list of members to be excluded and feed this to the pattern. Or combination between a fill and direction pattern where I can easily sketch the excluded area while still having full control over the different pattern directions.

Anyone has any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Bas)

Hi,

see video. I uploaded files created in Creo 7.0.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
21-Topaz I

Possible solutions:

Excel analysis feature: http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/beh11983/beh11983.htm 

Mapkey that reads in your external text file and updates parameters which in turn change the instances.

Vendor solution like simplified logic

Toolkit - this would provide the most flexibility but is likely a non-starter if you haven't used any of the toolkits before (there is a steep learning curve).

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

see video. I uploaded files created in Creo 7.0.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags