cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Forbidden characters in search path lines

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Forbidden characters in search path lines

If I have a directory with 100s of files (parts, drawings, assemblies, etc.), I'll eventually get to a point where I want to have sub-directories with grouped items, like "Tooling", "Purchased Parts", "Drive Components", etc. After doing all this tidying up, I then will create a local search path file, "locsearch.pro". When I need to work on the assembly I load that search path file (its entries get appended to my current search paths), and then everything gets found when I load in the assembly.

This has worked for many projects, I even have a batch file I run that automatically creates the file so if I change the structure, adding or deleting directories, I can build a new "locsearch.pro" with a click. But, here's the problem: Apparently if a directory contains certain characters, the search path is not defined correctly. For example, the following line, even though it is enclosed in double quotes, does not work.

"\\network_location\Creo Files\Cheese & Stuff\Tooling"

It seems that the "&" character is "special" and prevents the path line from being properly interpreted, resulting in the dreaded "part not found" messages when an assembly is loaded. I can still traverse the directory structure to find the missing files manually, but that's what I am trying to avoid with the search path settings in the first place.

So, is there a list somewhere of characters that cannot be interpreted in search path designations?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

I'm from an old school and therefore I only use these characters ... letters, digits, underscore.

Martin Hanák

Yeah, I used to only name directories with lower case letters and no spaces, etc. Since we organize things according to customer name and some of them have "&" in their names, there are names (not created by me) that don't follow this rule.

I always seem to find out these "little rules" by accident. Another example is that the manufacturing utilities, like post-processor for NC code generation, have a character limit for the full path name to a file. It doesn't tell you that you've hit the limit, of course, it just gives a weird error and lets you play computer detective to figure out the cause.

Hi,

I forgot that there are short names.

Example:

1.] I created this directory path ... C:\rodina\tmp\Creo Files\Cheese & Stuff\Tooling

2.] I opened DOS Prompt and did following

cd /D C:\rodina\tmp

dir /x

... now I know that short name related to Creo Files is CREOFI~1

cd CREOFI~1

dir /x

... now I know that short name related to Cheese & Stuff is CHEESE~1

So I have alternative path ... C:\rodina\tmp\CREOFI~1\CHEESE~1\Tooling.

Maybe it is usable in Creo environment.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags