cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Is there a way to remove selection filter popup window?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Is there a way to remove selection filter popup window?

Since the release of Creo 4 there has been a window that pops up every time that you change your selection filter.

There is a check box that says "in the future do not show this message".  If you click this box you can indeed click on the selection filter without the pop up window; that is until you exit Creo and come back in.

This has become a growing annoyance as every day I have to click the same box that doesn't give me anything new.

Before I make an idea submission I am wondering whether there might be a way of removing the pop up permanently.

I do need to use selection filters because alternate selecting doesn't always give me what I need.

annoying popup.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:pimm)

I'm not sure where that setting is stored, but I'm guessing in the creo_parametric_customizaion.ui file. 

Do you have the config option "load_ui_customization_run_dir" set to yes and are you working outside of WIndchill and changing your working directory as soon as you start Creo?

That setting means that it stores that file in the current working directory, not the start_in directory.  So, if you are changing the working directory, you'll get creo_parametric_customizaion.ui files in each folder.  So, if that setting is stored in the creo_parametric_customizaion.ui, when you click the box Creo saves the creo_parametric_customizaion.ui in the current working directory.  Because that isn't the start_in directory, it doesn't get loaded on start up.

It's a wild guess based on a couple of assumptions, your mileage may vary.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:dgschaefer)

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately it appears that the load_ui_customization_run_dir setting change didn't change the filter select behavior.  I will keep this setting though; I'm curious how it might effect some other things.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Rereading my reply, I'm not sure I was clear.  In an environment where you are changing your working directory every time you launch Creo (which is typical if you're not working in Windchill), you want this set to "no" (or simply not in your config file as no is the default) to prevent *.ui files from being saved in every working directory you use.  

--
LinkedIn
pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug:  That is one of the confusing things about Creo; their configs and the counter intuitiveness in finding these is a struggle in itself.

We don't have Windchill, we do change work directories with every job we work on.

Thanks for clearing up that the setting for this circumstance should be set at No.  I didn't really observe any difference one way or the other.  I don't see any unfamiliar files in the work directory; even though there are familiar extra files.

It appears I should at some point submit an idea for clearing out the uneeded pop up window.

Do any other people other than our group have the above mentioned pop up?

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I'm not yet using Creo 4, so I've not seen it.

Regarding that option, you won't see any *.ui files in your working directory unless you make a change to your toolbars.  Then, Creo saves it automatically to the current working directory.  Since most users don't change their toolbars often, there aren't likely a lot of files.  I tested this back on Creo 2 and found that it doesn't save to the initial working directory (start in folder) but uses the current working directory.  This can lead to changes not being loaded properly at next Creo launch.

It's possible that PTC has fixed this in Creo 4, I don't know.

I also am not sure that these settings (clicking do not show again) are stored in the *.ui file, it's a reasonable assumption but not confirmed.

Sorry to get off on a tangent.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags