cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Optional Marking based on attributes

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Optional Marking based on attributes

I wanted to get the fields opinion here on this issue. We all are faced with numerous and ever changing marking requirements that must appear on our drawings. We can utilize formats to lock in default markings. I am sure many of you have moved away from hard marking (dumb text on drawings) to attribute based markings where we can flow down values from Windchill or CAD model. 

Let's take export control. In U.S., there are 3 buckets; ITAR, EAR or EAR99. DODI 5230.24 directs to place what I like to call the go to jail text. I am sure many of you have something like this on your drawings today.

avillanueva_0-1688041870292.png

What I am looking to do is key off an attribute that indicates if the items are ITAR, EAR or EAR99 and either show this block or not. I have seen that rule based layers could be used to turn this on or off. However, I believe this would require the use of drawing templates.  I do not believe this could be passed via formats but if so, open to that idea. The other option I have considered is adding a custom button for users to add or remove it which would be a manual step. I am really trying to avoid a manual step.

Currently, we have employed attribute based marking where the jurisdiction (ITAR, EAR or EAR99) is displayed on the drawing. The nice thing about this is that it does not require touching the drawing since we can control this from the Windchill level and push down (using Security Labels).  Ultimate goal would be if the drawing (or model) security label is a certain value, display the warning statement. Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1

This might be doable on the Windchill side. I know that at one of our other locations, they have attributes tied to Security Labels - Where If you select an attribute value it sets a label, or vice versa. It is a customization, and has modifications to the Wizard.  Only downside is that you wouldn't get the text until it was checked into Windchill at least once. That being said - you could always have your process be that if a design includes ITAR/EAR you create a model/drawing and set the Security Labels / Attributes then check in. Then check out and start designing and detailing.

On my "hit list" of things to work with Wincom is a Security Label validator that is linked to attributes. There are so many complexities with CUI/ITAR/EAR etc. requiring specific markings. (Like if you chose a specified category, it also needs a CUI label).  

Unfortunately, all of these rules were designed to put something on a piece of paper - not a piece of data. I think what is most important is think of this in a data-centric manner - because the drawing is just an artifact of your design model, and both are represented by the wtpart in Windchill.

Top Tags