cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Placement of 3D annotation

BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member

Placement of 3D annotation

Hey,

Is there any way to fix a 3D annotation to a specific offset from the model.. Please see picture below.

My problem is, when i change the length of the ø50 cylinder part the dimension gets hidden in the solid model. I want this dimension to follow the model, instead of just staying in its place.

11.png

22.png

So far i have not been able to find a solution to fix this, I am running Creo 10 btw!

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks for this.

In general I am limited on running exe files, but i see how it works, and it could might be a possibility.

But i am unsure on how this works, as the changes to my model is done with creo running in backgroud (-g:no_graphics), regenerated on the basis of a textfile and saving the model... I am not sure it is possilble to combine the run of trail file and this function.

Regarding the case with PTC support: They do unfortunately not have a solution! They said that i could submit it as a product idea and refered to a similar case: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS264008 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Hi,

I am not sure whether such functionality is available,. Please ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BrianOlesen)

If this functionality exists, I am not aware of it.

BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the replys,

Anybody then have an idea for a workaround or other good solution to this challange?

Is it possible to make a mapkey that takes the dimension and moves it xx mm in 1 direction. Remebering that i can have x numbers of dimensions i need to move, and not know the start position, so it should be on the base of the dimensions internal id that they are selceted and moved!

@BrianOlesen wrote:

Thanks for the replys,

Anybody then have an idea for a workaround or other good solution to this challange?

Is it possible to make a mapkey that takes the dimension and moves it xx mm in 1 direction. Remebering that i can have x numbers of dimensions i need to move, and not know the start position, so it should be on the base of the dimensions internal id that they are selceted and moved!

Hi,

be brave, ask PTC Support and let us know.

Martin Hanák
BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member

Case has been submitted 🙂

@BrianOlesen wrote:

Case has been submitted 🙂

Hi,

if your security settings enable you to run AutoIt script, you can deploy it to move annotation via special mapkey.

Please replay attached move_by_AutoIt_script.mp4 video. During recording I placed mouse cursor over annotation and then typed dd on keyboard.

_mouse_position_02_2023-12-01.zip contains AutoIt script. Unzip it into the same directory and you can test it.

Martin Hanák
BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member

Thanks for this.

In general I am limited on running exe files, but i see how it works, and it could might be a possibility.

But i am unsure on how this works, as the changes to my model is done with creo running in backgroud (-g:no_graphics), regenerated on the basis of a textfile and saving the model... I am not sure it is possilble to combine the run of trail file and this function.

Regarding the case with PTC support: They do unfortunately not have a solution! They said that i could submit it as a product idea and refered to a similar case: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS264008 

@BrianOlesen wrote:

Thanks for this.

Hi,

if your Creo is running in backgroud (-g:no_graphics) then you're screwed. It's a shame you didn't mention this important information at the beginning.

Martin Hanák
BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member

Hi,

Had hoped that the solution had been: click on that field and add reference to a plane, or something like this.

That is why i kept the question simpel, whitout all extra info.

If i find no other way of solving this, i could run it with grafics turned on and then i could use this solution. So for now it is the best solution, as PTC support did not have a solution to the problem aswell. 

Thanks

Could you please post a link to the case# that you submitted, so we can all see latest status directly?  Thanks.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:JohnIngalls)

Posting a case number will not do any good as the information is tied to the company that opened the case and is not viewable by other members of the community.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

I don't think you can move it 1mm, but what you can do is make a DTM plane that is 1mm and then record a mapkey that selects the annotation and does a move to plane for that datum. See mapkey below. Note that this method is highly dependent on the dimension ID and datum name. I tested this and it works. In the mapkey below it seaches for a dimension D201 and then moves it to Datum DTM1.

Alternatively you could make a shorter mapkey that starts with the dimension highlighted and then does move to plane and uses the find command to find the plane that is offset. This you could repeat with multiple dimensions.

mapkey df ~ Command `ProCmdMdlTreeSearch` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;~ Close `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio` 1 `Dimension`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `ExtRulesLayout.ExtBasicNameLayout.BasicNameList` \
mapkey(continued) `*d201*`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `EvaluateBtn`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `ApplyBtn`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `CancelButton`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Timer `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `popupMenuRMBTimerCB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `rmb_popup` `PopupMenu`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `MiniToolbar` `MiniToolbar` `UIT_TRANSLUCENT` `NEED_TO_CLOSE`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdAnnotMoveToPlane@PopupMenuGraphicWinStack` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Key `main_dlg_cur` `proe_win` 9 393 720 38141958 0 1548 950 1920 1200 \
mapkey(continued) 63082928 `Ctrl+F`;~ Command `ProCmdMdlTreeSearch` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `ExtRulesLayout.ExtBasicNameLayout.BasicNameList` `*`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdLayer_ShowMdlTree` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `ExtRulesLayout.ExtBasicNameLayout.BasicNameList` \
mapkey(continued) `*DTM1*`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `EvaluateBtn`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `ApplyBtn`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `CancelButton`;

BrianOlesen
5-Regular Member
(To:Chris3)

Hey, thanks for the reply, 

I see where you are going, but i have the dimension placed on the correct plane and need to move the dimension placement on this plane.

If i move it to another paralle plane, the dimension is moved to the back or forground, where as i need to moved it to the left or right, based on the length of the model. 

Your solution would have worked if the dimension was placed parpendicularry to the centerline. The first part of the mapkey where you select the dimension I think is great. Regading the move of the dimension, I have tried to see in my trail file what happen when i move the dimension but have a hard time figuring out the context.

Thanks again. 

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Yes my brain leapt to the solution that is possible not the solution you needed. I don't think this is functionally possible. It is possible to read a trail file that moves it but the trail file records the screen position of your click and its never going to be at the same place on the screen all the time so you could maybe get it to work once and that would be it. Trail file:

~ LButtonArm `main_dlg_cur` `proe_win` 9 1153 453 0 1 1463 961 1920 1200 38712
~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `proe_win` 9 1153 453 0 1 1463 961 1920 1200 38721
~ LButtonDisarm `main_dlg_cur` `proe_win` 9 1153 453 0 0 1463 961 1920 1200 38897

Two of those numbers are you screen size and then two others are the relative position of your mouse to that screen size.

You might want to vote for this idea which may help some of your problem:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Allow-multiple-3D-annotations-dimensions-to-be-dragged-together/idi-p/701300 

Otherwise you can create an idea for this.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I asked about centerlines way back and received the answer that this wasn't part of the functionality:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Drawing-changes/m-p/233665

Top Tags