cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ProMechanica Simulations and Report Formats

DAVIDMALOY
4-Participant

ProMechanica Simulations and Report Formats

Hi all,

My name is David M., I am the owner of a local design and engineering firm in west michigan, I could use some help.

I have ProMechanica Structural and considering purchasing the Thermal Simuation. I am bidding on some thermal work and competing against Solidworks and UG.

This is my problem, Several comments from my client, They state, They are pleased with with accuracy of ProMechanica products but the Report formats are in HTML. They would prefer Microsft Word or Microsoft PowerPoint or an interface with OpenOffice (the free office suite product). There are more issues, When a Report is created and the option to create VRML files - well I have found out the managers of an automotive tier one supplier do not even know what a VRML file is.. and if software is available, these managers do no have admin rights to install.

Hence I do some research to find out the VRML is outdata technology and 3D - PDF files are the newest technologies. I told them I would check with PTC to see if Simulation reports were accessible to Microsoft Office products or OpenOffice office suites products.

So the Question, Does PTC have a release of CREO simulate (Currently, my firm is working on Creo Elements/ Pro 5.0) that can create a report and export the pictures, pdf files, 3D-pdf files, graphs, etc, into one or both of the mentioned products - Microsoft Office products, OpenOffice suites products.

My client has told me that Solidworks use Microsoft products (IE MS Word) to create their reports. I looked at one of those report - it was very well created and the layout used the background template from the Automotive Supplier. They commented that this one document that contains everything is easlier to distribute and everyone has either Microsoft products and abobe Reader - which has the 3D -PDF files.

(Update), I am aware that CREO does have the 3D-PDF capablilities, but I do not think the software will export the 3D-PDF file with the "Fringe plot" showing the temperature flow overt the part.

Any help would be appreciate, I will be notified if I get the work in about 3 weeks, I am competing for Design and Engineering against several firms.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi David,

I have taken VRML files and added them to a PDF document. This provides a 3D visual option in your PDF report file. Of course, you will require to have a copy of Adobe Acrobat in order to modify PDF files in this way. The unfortunate downside is the legend does not come with the 3D content, so I usually place a static image from the same result window on the preceeding page. It is possible to open, and convert, an HTML file into a MS Word document. You may also convert an HTML page to a PDF file as well and add the VRML content.

In addition, Creo Simulate allows you to export a "Creo View" result. This is a 3D viewable image of your Simulate result that can be viewed in any version of Creo View, including the free flavor. This would provide full 3D viewing capability of the fringe plot as you would see it in the Simulate result window, legend and all. Something to consider as an option.

Good Luck,

Chris

Top Tags