cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

REPRESENTATION DIFFERENT CONFIGURATION

MB_10508968
9-Granite

REPRESENTATION DIFFERENT CONFIGURATION

Hi, how can I represent an assembly with 2 different configuration (sets of constraints) of subassembly?

I realize the snapshot of the 2 configuration of subassembly.

When I put the subassembly in 2 upper level assembly, if I recall a snapshot in one of this assembly, it put the same configuration in the other assembly: I want to mantain 2 different configurations in the 2 different assembly.

Best regards,

Michele Barile

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:MB_10508968)

Flexibility may be able to accomplish what you are trying to do.  You can change dimensions and constraint sets.  Below is a section from my Creo tips and tricks file on using multiple constraint sets for alternate assembly locations.  You may also what to predefine the flexibility in your subassembly.

USING CONSTRAINT SETS FOR ALTERNATE ASSEMBLY LOCATIONS 

This method creates multiple positions for a part in an assembly, such as placing a bolt in different bolt holes or lining a part up to different bolt holes.  Dimensions can also be varied using flexibility along with this method, See the following link for detailed description. 

• How-to-Make-Multiple-Assembly-Positions 
  • Create multiple constraint sets 
    • Constrain part in first desired position. 
    • Disable Constraint Set 
    • Select New Set at bottom of Constraint list 
    • Repeat for all needed positions 
    • Rename constraint sets to something meaningful 
    • Activate desired default Constraint Set 
  • Refer to FLEXIBITY to add pre-determined flexibility. 
    • While adding predetermined flexibility select the Parameters tab then plus sign 
    • Change Filter By to “Current and all sub features” 
    • Select Component “xxxxx.asm” / PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET then insert selected and Close 
    • Select OK and close Model Properties 
    • When adding model to assembly, choose parameters tab in flexibility and enter desired Constraint Set name.  

FLEXIBILITY 

• Predefine flexibility in a component or assembly go to File / Prepare / Model Properties. Select “change” for Flexible under Tools section. 
    • When part or assembly is assembled into an assembly you will be prompted to use predefined flexibility. 
  1. Select a feature or part to flex, define what needs to vary, and select OK. 
  2. Repeat for additional feature or part flexibilities. 
  3. Select OK. 

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Have you tried a family table of the two different sub-assembly configurations.

One instance can be used in one assembly.

A second instance can be used in the other assembly.

Are the upper level assemblies completely different. If not, you could make them a family table that calls the different instances. But if you do, the subcomponents have to have the same constraints.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Flexibility may be able to accomplish what you are trying to do.  You can change dimensions and constraint sets.  Below is a section from my Creo tips and tricks file on using multiple constraint sets for alternate assembly locations.  You may also what to predefine the flexibility in your subassembly.

USING CONSTRAINT SETS FOR ALTERNATE ASSEMBLY LOCATIONS 

This method creates multiple positions for a part in an assembly, such as placing a bolt in different bolt holes or lining a part up to different bolt holes.  Dimensions can also be varied using flexibility along with this method, See the following link for detailed description. 

• How-to-Make-Multiple-Assembly-Positions 
  • Create multiple constraint sets 
    • Constrain part in first desired position. 
    • Disable Constraint Set 
    • Select New Set at bottom of Constraint list 
    • Repeat for all needed positions 
    • Rename constraint sets to something meaningful 
    • Activate desired default Constraint Set 
  • Refer to FLEXIBITY to add pre-determined flexibility. 
    • While adding predetermined flexibility select the Parameters tab then plus sign 
    • Change Filter By to “Current and all sub features” 
    • Select Component “xxxxx.asm” / PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET then insert selected and Close 
    • Select OK and close Model Properties 
    • When adding model to assembly, choose parameters tab in flexibility and enter desired Constraint Set name.  

FLEXIBILITY 

• Predefine flexibility in a component or assembly go to File / Prepare / Model Properties. Select “change” for Flexible under Tools section. 
    • When part or assembly is assembled into an assembly you will be prompted to use predefined flexibility. 
  1. Select a feature or part to flex, define what needs to vary, and select OK. 
  2. Repeat for additional feature or part flexibilities. 
  3. Select OK. 

There is always more to learn in Creo.

You can refer to the help center to Configure Components of an Assembly Instance

pobsd
12-Amethyst

I think you can create the family table for two different configurations for the sub assemblies. Then, create the top level assembly with the family table. 

The top level assembly can be easily created if each configuration on the sub assemblies uses the same constraint. If there are two sub assemblies with different parts assemblies, you may need to create mutual datum in the family table for the sub assemblies/where both instances utilize and later that uses on top level assembly. This makes it easier to build the top level assemblies utilizing two different sub assemblies configurations.

Thank you.

Top Tags