cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

SolidWorks

mmello
10-Marble

SolidWorks

When I open a solidWorks drawing in Creo parametric 10, I change the model using Flexible Modeling and then I save it in solidworks again. When I open the model in SolidWorks, my client tells me that the model has no intelligence. Is this correct and can I edit it again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello KenFarley

I thought that when I opened the SolidWorks model in Creo, the tree was hidden and when I returned it to Solid, it would appear, regardless of the modification I made. But as I understand it, this doesn't happen with any other 3D modeling... I think that's clear enough for me... I'll pass it on to the client!!! Thank you very much for your help!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mmello)

Opening and modifying any solid model in a non-native modeler will always destroy the parametric characteristics of the model and render it a 'blob' when you try to reopen it in the native software.

Hello..

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought that since Creo 10 would open the native SolidWorks, modify it and return it natively, the tree would return to SolidWorks to make any changes if desired.

So can I tell my client that there's really no way to do this? I ask because this is a base change!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:mmello)

When you read in the original SolidWorks file into Creo, does the model have any features? Not "import" features, but extrudes, rounds, whatever features were used in SolidWorks to build the geometry. If not, then you can't expect them to exist in what is put out after modifications.

Also, unless I'm mistaken (I don't use it), I think flexible modeling isn't really adding parametric features to a model. I don't know how it's changes are stored in a model - maybe it messes up the features?

Hello KenFarley

I thought that when I opened the SolidWorks model in Creo, the tree was hidden and when I returned it to Solid, it would appear, regardless of the modification I made. But as I understand it, this doesn't happen with any other 3D modeling... I think that's clear enough for me... I'll pass it on to the client!!! Thank you very much for your help!!!

Top Tags