cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

To avoid duplicate parts

Maheshbabu_S
5-Regular Member

To avoid duplicate parts

I am trying to draft a certain assembly where I have to show a particular component at two different locations. One in solid outline and another in phantom line. For that, I have been using same component twice in the assembly and making one of it display in phantom line with Component Display feature in the Drawing. Is there any workaround or feature that will help me show the same component at two different locations as described above without a duplicate part in the assembly?

(Attached an image where you can see the piston has to be shown at two different locations. I achieved it by using two pistons in the same assembly. Is there a way to achieve it by using a single piston in the assembly?

P.S: Simplified model for understanding)

4 REPLIES 4

You could define an explode state with the piston in the second position you want.

Make two general views, one with an unexploded state, the other with the exploded state you want. Both looking at the part from the same direction, same scale, etc.

Change the component display of the exploded view the way you want it for the piston, etc. You can also blank all the parts that aren't needed, except one common part that you'll use for alignment.

Edit the exploded view and align it to the unexploded view in the horizontal and vertical directions, using the same reference on each view. You have to do these one after the other, there is no way to align a view both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

This should give you the effect you are looking for. I don't know how much of a pain things will be if you make changes, but it's a method.

Perhaps someone will suggest a more nice way.

If it were me, I'd probably rather have one view for one state, and another for the other state.

You could make a family table with the distance for the piston being two values for two instances.

Then bring the two instances into the drawing similarly to Ken with the exploded states.

Sorry - I initially saw draft and thought you were putting a draft on the part.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Maheshbabu_S)

Maybe snapshots in mechanisms? I don't use mechanisms but I have seen reference to snapshots many times in this context.

You can use a combination of construction multibody and layers.

Assembly shows the one for each component.

Bogdan_M_4-1706818717166.png

Drawing shows a correct BOM quantity but the second component it is shows as double.

Bogdan_M_1-1706818477078.png

The individual components when is open looks as a single component.

Bogdan_M_2-1706818560736.png

But I have a second body which I controlled using layers.

Bogdan_M_3-1706818601868.png

Let me know if this works for you!

Have a nice day!

Bogdan
Top Tags