cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Trouble with retaining title block data

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Trouble with retaining title block data

I generated a .frm file and a .drw file from this.

This works with the exception of our company logo which doesn't want to stay updated in the drawing.

The strange thing is that when we start a drawing the company logo is on the drawing. Once we save and get back into the drawing the logo disappears.

Would anyone have an idea why this doesn't want to stay visible within the drawing file?

The company logo was imported and saved to the format drawing title block. This was something I just wanted to have in the background because it never would be changed. It almost appears that even though the drawing allows importing drawing data it doesn't like to retain this data.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
jmayer
4-Participant
(To:pimm)

We have our company logo stored at the .frm drawing. When we create a drawing, we use the .frm file and our company logo stays intact.

When I made the format, I used an exported file of the company logo to make a symbol. Then used that symbol in the format.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:jmayer)

Jason: If I'm not mistaken we are doing the same as what you are???

jmayer
4-Participant

Yes, it sounds like it. I just wanted to explain how I did it so you could verify.

The only thing that I have to comment on is that on my format drawing, I did not import data to get the company logo.

I imported the data, saved it as a .sym, then placed that on my format.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:jmayer)

In reviewing the imported logo I see that it is from Adobe Acrobat. I didn't know you needed to convert to a .sym. I'm not sure if I can convert what I've already got for my imported logo, but it is worth looking into.

Jeff: I'm sorry you have the same issue but I'm glad that someone can duplicate this same problem.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Paul, it sounds like you are opening an image in the format file rather than a vector based object. I know I have had issues with raster objects. I might suggest defaulting to a bitmap BMP file rather than PDF. However, even with bitmap files, I have had .BMP images completely disappear form the screen although the Creo recognized them when I access them for editing. I have also had a serious file corruption issue with multiple bitmap files becoming "confused".

If at all possible, I recommend a vector file that is saved as a symbol. Even with these I recommend you draw lines for solid fields rather than closed and shaded polygons. Shaded polygons too have shown to have serious graphics issues. I have resigned myself to making the effort to draw and trim lines to make an area look solid. You will see much the same effort in all the pre-loaded PTC symbols.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I did a search on the net and didn't see any Creating Symbols for Dummies document.

I did find in Annotate/Symbol/Symbol Gallery where it is apparant that I can build my own Symbol. There are some tools which are similar to working within the Sketch tool.

I would prefer not building something from scratch. Is there a way that I can pull the Adobe Document or another Adobe generated file format into a Symbol file?

It appears that all other prospects of bringing the Adobe document into the drawing format are iffy in terms of retaining it's visibility.

Worst case scenario we could bring in a DXF file from our ZW title block to the Symbol library. Would this be possible?

This certainly would be much simpler if the Adobe logo attachment would retain it's visibility through changes in the drawing. This in itself might be a good Idea submission but it would be iffy whether this would be implimented.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

You should be able to import the DXF into the symbol editor.

And yes, it is an older interface for symbols. Essentially it is a drafting package.

And no, you require a PHD to drive that puppy

Images have always been available for modeling and drafting since the 'ol days. These are OLE objects from Windows. I think they are as buggy as the day they were introduced, ...meaning they get little attention from the development support side. They are buggy for the most part due to the graphics driver interface. I can't speak for the export side such as plotting and printing. All I know is that when I use an underlying bitmap image in a drawing, it has a bad habit of becoming fully transparent.

The only thing slightly better behaved are Decals that can be placed on solid or surface features. I don't think that is a good route for a drawing format. I have had a bug fixed with regard to Decals disappearing in Creo 2.0.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I'll have to agree with you that you need a PHD to make Symbols.

We have learned how to import DXF into Symbol creation. Once in this function my co-worker Ron figured out how to apply fill to the pattern, and the end result is good. We are left with one huge obstacle. How in blazes do you save the Symbol as a Symbol? Do you have to work in something other than a drawing environment? Is there an exclusive way of saving the Symbol as a Symbol? My co-worker and I have spent multiple hours to find something that should be found in an instant.

jmayer
4-Participant

When in the symbol gallery menu manager, select write, the pick either name or pick instance

Capture.GIF

Having a similar problem. Some of the fields in the title block do not update or fill when opening an existing drawing. They all fill correctly when the drawing or sheet is created.

Jeff, is your issue with how the data is being edited? If your variables are not maintained as a parameter (or through a relation), manual data entry will replace the variable in the format with fixed text. I'm just guessing as to whether this is your issue, but it is something I've noted as a problem others have encountered.

Top Tags