cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

When saving an assembly, Creo Parametric 10.0 unexpectedly modifies component model files that were

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

When saving an assembly, Creo Parametric 10.0 unexpectedly modifies component model files that were

Any Creo 10.0.x.0 release behaves as said in Subject. I will upload test data created in Creo 7.0.11.0 and video showing the "problem".

Note: I already opened Case at PTC Support.

Martin Hanák
19 REPLIES 19

Full Subject text ... When saving an assembly, Creo Parametric 10.0 unexpectedly modifies component model files that were created in the past.

Martin Hanák

Test data.

Martin Hanák

Video attached.

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

It "changed" the .1 iteration but kept the same creo version in the header but added "stuff" at the end. That's very interesting.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to open the file in Creo 7 after this save?

StephenW_0-1708023695558.png

@StephenW wrote:

It "changed" the .1 iteration but kept the same creo version in the header but added "stuff" at the end. That's very interesting.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to open the file in Creo 7 after this save?

StephenW_0-1708023695558.png

Hi,

YES I did it. To my surprise, Creo 7.0 opened the modified file successfully.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Opening your test assembly in Creo 9, adding the text extrude and then saving, creates new iterations of the part and assembly and updates the headers.

Depending on your config.pro setting, I would expect this for Save All changed objects. Even though the part is not physically changed in Creo 9, the internal data structure has been updated. This is evidenced by an added line in the data at the end of the file when viewed in Notepad. The unexpected behavior is that Creo 10 does not change the iteration or header of the part file, but does still add the line.

@BenLoosli wrote:

Opening your test assembly in Creo 9, adding the text extrude and then saving, creates new iterations of the part and assembly and updates the headers.

Depending on your config.pro setting, I would expect this for Save All changed objects. Even though the part is not physically changed in Creo 9, the internal data structure has been updated. This is evidenced by an added line in the data at the end of the file when viewed in Notepad. The unexpected behavior is that Creo 10 does not change the iteration or header of the part file, but does still add the line.

Hi,

FYI during my test:

• I used Creo without connection to Windchill
  • config.pro contents:
file_open_default_folder working_directory
save_objects changed

This means when I added Sketch feature into the assembly, then no new iteration of part was saved in Creo 9.0. The part was not changed as in Creo 10.0.

Martin Hanák

I hate to be the cynic but when the software went to a subscription licensing, I'm willing to bet they made the decision that all part models need to be current so that you are locked out of ALL your data when the subscription expires.  It's the only way to force people to completely do away with their persistent license.  I don't see your case being resolved. 

aputman
7-Bedrock
(To:aputman)

Thank you for noticing and opening the case with PTC.  I hope you update this post with the results of your case.  I'm curious to see what is their response. 

PTC immediately opened SPR.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=15163415

Martin Hanák

Hello to all,

Here is the R&D Feedback ... I just stare in surprise

==================================

The file size change is expected and is very small which has only metadata info added that is required to support Creo 10, there is no specific model/design change that would impact customer negatively.

Infact, customers may not like to iterate their files for such change as they could have released files. It’s a one time change that we see.

======================================

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Even if the file was not changed significantly, the header internally should still be updated to indicate that the file was saved in Creo 10.

I haven't tried it, but can the modified file with the header still showing Creo 7 be opened in Creo 7? If so, that may be why PTC is not changing the header. But then what does Creo 7 do with the extra line of metadata that Creo 10 added?

@BenLoosli wrote:

Even if the file was not changed significantly, the header internally should still be updated to indicate that the file was saved in Creo 10.

I haven't tried it, but can the modified file with the header still showing Creo 7 be opened in Creo 7? If so, that may be why PTC is not changing the header. But then what does Creo 7 do with the extra line of metadata that Creo 10 added?

Hi,

Basic information

Creo 10.0 is able to open file saved in Creo 7.0 successfully (i.e. without SldRegenRevInfo sections). Therefore there is no need to add SldRegenRevInfo sections into the file.

Situation no.1

If Creo 7 file is saved in directory with Full access rights then Creo 10 adds SldRegenRevInfo sections into it. Header is not changed. I can still see #Creo TM 7.0 (c) 2024 by PTC Inc. All Rights Reserved. 7.0.11.0 on line no.12. Creo 7 opens modified file successfuly - it simply ignores SldRegenRevInfo sections.

Situation no.2

If Creo 7 file is saved in directory with READ-ONLY access rights then Creo 10 does not modify the file.

Situation no.3

If Creo 7 file is saved in Windchill then Creo 10 does not modify the file. It creates separate file in workspace cache and puts SldRegenRevInfo sections into it.

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II

• Situation no.3      If Creo 7 file is saved in Windchill then Creo 10 does not modify the file. It creates separate file in workspace cache and puts SldRegenRevInfo sections into it.

Can you clarify? How is this file related to the Creo file? 

@StephenW wrote:
  • Situation no.3      If Creo 7 file is saved in Windchill then Creo 10 does not modify the file. It creates separate file in workspace cache and puts SldRegenRevInfo sections into it.

Hi,

I am sorry, information in my Situation no.3 is not accurate enough. I should have written that I can see separate files in a directory on disk (not in the browser environment).

In my case the path to cache directory is C:\PTC\con_03_CR9_PTC_WF_CACHE\.cache2008\opendj.example.com.

In this directory I can see files with .wfcont extension. I think that separate file containing SldRegenRevInfo sections is linked with part file via another specific file. Please don't ask me how it's done ...

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Thanks for clarifying Martin.

@MartinHanak wrote:

@StephenW wrote:

Hi,

I am sorry, information in my Situation no.3 is not accurate enough. I should have written that I can see separate files in a directory on disk (not in the browser environment).

In my case the path to cache directory is C:\PTC\con_03_CR9_PTC_WF_CACHE\.cache2008\opendj.example.com.

In this directory I can see files with .wfcont extension. I think that separate file containing SldRegenRevInfo sections is linked with part file via another specific file. Please don't ask me how it's done ...

I see the same here with Creo Parametric 9.0 files being opened in Creo Parametric 10.0 in a Windchill workspace.

Talk about an instant doubling of the cache size used.

Yesterday I came across an article https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS409743.

Today I asked PTC Support what is planned in Creo 10.0.5.0.

To be continued...

Martin Hanák

Today my Case was closed successfully.

Anyone who wants to can follow SPR 15124259  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=15124259 

The solution to the problem is planned in Creo 10.0.5.0, Creo 11.0.1.0 and Creo 12.0.0.0.

These releases will stop modifying old files using the hidden config.pro option prevent_silent_sync yes (default value is no).

10.0.5.0	Jun 2024
11.0.1.0	Q3 2024
12.0.0.0	Apr 2025

Martin Hanák
Top Tags