cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How does bonded interface in Creo simulate works like? Does it work similar to weld?

NR_10501208
7-Bedrock

How does bonded interface in Creo simulate works like? Does it work similar to weld?

How does bonded interface in Creo simulate works like? Does it work similar to weld? Or it works as a contact? Or it will just not let the components penetrate into each other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am not familiar with Abaqus, but it appears it has some faster solving psuedo-contact algorithm? Creo has the capability for contacts and static analysis. There are also settings which can loosen the tolerance for the contacts and improve solve times, at the possible expense of accuracy. For any model, especially large, complex ones under simple static loading, it is important to ask yourself why you need the detail of contacts, and whether you can replace them with rigid connections or bonded connections, or other idealizations. For example I have used bonding at a pin joint over a 90 degree contact area to represent the contact area and have acceptable resulting stress patterns. I have also used beam elements with beam releases to model a pin joint that could rotate. In these cases the exact pressure distribution at the contact was less important. Also, it is useful to know how to break out components from a large assembly and do free body diagrams and load/analyze them individually, assuming they are statically determinate. It is my opinion that Creo's use of polynomial elements makes contacts quite a bit more computationally intense than codes like Abaqus. Also if you try to apply any experience in mesh sizes for contacts (or any part of your model) from codes like Abaqus into Creo, you will have difficulty. The mesh sizes for contact in Creo generally need to be relatively much larger.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bonded elements are joined by sharing faces, just like elements not at an interface are connected to each other. This makes meshing more difficult because of the continuity required. Another term for this would be equivalence. The bonded faces and nodes are equivalenced. If the materials were the same on either side of the bond, essentially the interface could not be seen at all by the solver, and would look like one continuous component.

Then is there any way to represent the contact similar to abaqus in Creo?
As my models are very large if I run contact analysis runs will go for days. So I want to give a run which can run in static analysis and works similar to contacts.

I am not familiar with Abaqus, but it appears it has some faster solving psuedo-contact algorithm? Creo has the capability for contacts and static analysis. There are also settings which can loosen the tolerance for the contacts and improve solve times, at the possible expense of accuracy. For any model, especially large, complex ones under simple static loading, it is important to ask yourself why you need the detail of contacts, and whether you can replace them with rigid connections or bonded connections, or other idealizations. For example I have used bonding at a pin joint over a 90 degree contact area to represent the contact area and have acceptable resulting stress patterns. I have also used beam elements with beam releases to model a pin joint that could rotate. In these cases the exact pressure distribution at the contact was less important. Also, it is useful to know how to break out components from a large assembly and do free body diagrams and load/analyze them individually, assuming they are statically determinate. It is my opinion that Creo's use of polynomial elements makes contacts quite a bit more computationally intense than codes like Abaqus. Also if you try to apply any experience in mesh sizes for contacts (or any part of your model) from codes like Abaqus into Creo, you will have difficulty. The mesh sizes for contact in Creo generally need to be relatively much larger.

In my case I need to calculate the Contact surface tangential force near the bolt COC Interface. Using that results I can understand if there is any slippage due the shear capacity of that joint, Taking the preload into consideration.

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:NR_10501208)

Surely it's a contraint equation.

PTC should publish the details

This is not the whole story, but the plotting h-elements share nodes across the bonded connection. (see Part 1) Bonded connection is not a TIE contact connection like traditional code. TIE would use constraint equations. In Hypermesh bonding is equivalent to imprinting elements to be the same on both matching bonded surfaces, then equivalencing the nodes. In Part 2 notice how the mesh changes for the bonded vs the free interface. Contact and Free interfaces will not enforce mesh equivalence.

PART 1

SweetPeasHub_0-1690817631122.pngSweetPeasHub_1-1690817699856.pngSweetPeasHub_2-1690817744988.pngSweetPeasHub_3-1690817866895.pngSweetPeasHub_4-1690818129425.png

SweetPeasHub_5-1690818184333.png

SweetPeasHub_6-1690818297884.png

SweetPeasHub_8-1690819140199.png

SweetPeasHub_9-1690819514652.pngSweetPeasHub_10-1690819574052.png

PART 2

SweetPeasHub_12-1690820518455.png

SweetPeasHub_11-1690820488606.png

SweetPeasHub_13-1690820541503.png

SweetPeasHub_14-1690820598135.png

Top Tags