cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

MathCAD Express (9.0?) installed with CREO 7.0 - will it work?

GO_10898978
5-Regular Member

MathCAD Express (9.0?) installed with CREO 7.0 - will it work?

Hello I'm new to CREO. My company uses CREO 7.0 even though I believe latest is 9.0.. I want to download and install MathCAD Express to be used inside CREO. Will the latest version of MathCAD Express (I believe 9.0) work inside CREO 7.0?

BTW I added this to Simulation since there was no specific MathCAD section.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

just FYI ... Mathcad Express is limited to usage for personal purposes, and may not be used to benefit any business or for any commercial purposes or for any business purposes.

You will find this sentence in https://www.ptc.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/legal-agreements/licensing-basis-table/2020-March/Licensing-Basis-Table-EN-March-2020.pdf document.

According to https://release-advisor.ptc.com/releaseMatrix?releaseId=1319 page, you can use Mathcad Prime 9.0 with Creo Parametric 7.0.7.0+

Martin Hanák
GO_10898978
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

@MartinHanak thanks for responding. I'm a bit confused. I was told by someone once you purchase CREO you get a free license to MathCAD. Under "Applications" on the CREO toolbar there is an option to activate MathCAD. This is greyed out for me. We started the CREO installer to see if installing MathCAD was an option - and we couldn't find an option to install MathCAD.

- So here's my confusion - again I thought if you own CREO you own MathCAD for use within CREO.

- At the moment - since I have Excel installed on my computer - there is an option to use Excel for tables. There is also - under "Analysis" an option for "Excel Analysis", as well as, "MathCAD Analysis" and "Prime Analysis" - both options are greyed out.

- I definitely don't want to purchase a license to MathCAD Prime if I don't have to since company won't support this - but I thought there is a free version -> Express that can be downloaded and integrated into CREO.

- Why is there MathCAD options within CREO - but no way to access them - are you saying the only way to use MathCAD is buying Prime?

If I can't use MathCAD within CREO without paying money that is a disappointment.

I was kind of surprised by this too and wonder if something changed since Mathcad express first came out. When it first came out after Mathcad was purchased by PTC it was included on the CREO installation CD and was often installed in commercial settings. I have always needed the full capabilities of Mathcad so I maintained a locked seat for about 30 years now. The Creo Advanced and higher package seats now come with full Mathcad, but the Creo Essentials do not.

If you open Mathcad independently from Creo there is an option to set the license.

SweetPeasHub_0-1705439030802.png

If your company has a floating license system, and a high enough package type, there may be floating licenses of Mathcad available from the license server. If you are using locked licenses and a package that includes Mathcad, the license may not have been selected when generating the license file for your local machine, and Mathcad would need to be added and a new license file generated. Also, if a locked license file was used for Mathcad for a previous user on your computer, it may just be a matter of the license file not being in a location that you have user rights to access.

Finally, as a new Creo user, there is much for you to learn and learning to integrate with Mathcad seems like something to look at further down the road. Creo can do math in its parameters(variables) and relations as well as most number entry boxes understand mathematical entries in addition to plain numbers. Some boxes can even take a parameter name and will ask if you want a relation added to equate to the parameter.

I guess to sum up, what are you going to do in Mathcad that makes parameters / relations unsuitable or undesirable? Or maybe you were unaware of that capability?

GO_10898978
5-Regular Member
(To:SweetPeasHub)

@SweetPeasHub Yeah - I was told last year, when my previous company was considering purchasing CREO, that a MathCAD variant is included. I assumed MathCAD Express (Free) was that variant. I guess not. That seems bizarre. So, PTC relies on Excel to perform analysis within CREO - but does not include MathCAD Express (free to use)? You would think this would be a good marketing ploy to move more people to MathCAD Prime once users get used to MathCAD Express within CREO.

@MartinHanak I checked your links below and executed the batch file as well. We do not have MathCAD license. As for CREO Advanced vs CREO Essentials I have no clue. I performed about CREO and it just says CREO Parametric 7.0.....

What is weird is that I believe we have Pro/Mechanica or CREO Simulate but this doesn't show under my CREO Applications tab - nor does it show up under licensing under Options.

Just curious to use advanced tools if available to grow as an Engineer.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

FYI ... your Creo admin (maybe also you) can login to support.ptc.com, go to https://support.ptc.com/apps/licensePortal/auth/ssl/cdr page and submit request to send Detailed License Report to email address specified in user account.

Detailed License Report is Excel file  - it contains a list of PTC packages that your company has purchased.

Martin Hanák
GO_10898978
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

@MartinHanak Thanks for the help. I found out who our Online Supervisor is within Org. I'm new to Org, but I really don't believe we have active CREO support internally. That's why I came here. I did find out MathCAD is not part of CREO install. That is something. Thanks again.

Correct, it appears you do not have Mathcad Prime installed.

I have confirmed that Creo7 design essentials and Mathcad Prime 9 express (free) can integrate together.

SweetPeasHub_0-1705512211911.png

GO_10898978
5-Regular Member
(To:SweetPeasHub)

@SweetPeasHub Now I'm really confused. @MartinHanak stated that MathCAD Express is single use and only for students. You say MathCAD Prime Express (free) can integrate with CREO. Are you mixing up versions? I went to PTC MathCAD page to sign up for MathCAD Express - MathCAD Prime is available for 30 days - and then it reverts back to Express.

I tried getting this authorized within our Org - the download and install - but if it doesn't work as I expected - it is a free version that also runs within CREO - and can be used within CREO - I see no value. I do not believe we have a license to MathCAD at all. Thanks for the help/input.

Hi,

just a clarification ...

• MathCAD Express functionality is limited
  • MathCAD Express is for personal use (at home as a hobby) ... I guess even student must buy license

Martin Hanák

@GO_10898978 wrote:

@MartinHanak thanks for responding. I'm a bit confused. I was told by someone once you purchase CREO you get a free license to MathCAD. Under "Applications" on the CREO toolbar there is an option to activate MathCAD. This is greyed out for me. We started the CREO installer to see if installing MathCAD was an option - and we couldn't find an option to install MathCAD.

- So here's my confusion - again I thought if you own CREO you own MathCAD for use within CREO.

- At the moment - since I have Excel installed on my computer - there is an option to use Excel for tables. There is also - under "Analysis" an option for "Excel Analysis", as well as, "MathCAD Analysis" and "Prime Analysis" - both options are greyed out.

- I definitely don't want to purchase a license to MathCAD Prime if I don't have to since company won't support this - but I thought there is a free version -> Express that can be downloaded and integrated into CREO.

- Why is there MathCAD options within CREO - but no way to access them - are you saying the only way to use MathCAD is buying Prime?

If I can't use MathCAD within CREO without paying money that is a disappointment.

Hi,

please read reply published by SweetPeasHub carefully. You will get answers to your questions.

To find out whether your company owns Mathcad Prime license, go to https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/index.jsp page and look for MATHCAD PRIME item. You can also check the contents of license file -or- run ptcstatus.bat.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags