cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

EPS files not rendering in AT8.2.2.1, but do render in 8.1.2.0

DL_954020
4-Participant

EPS files not rendering in AT8.2.2.1, but do render in 8.1.2.0

Thanks for looking.  🙂

I have a laptop running a fresh install of Arbortext 8.2.2.1.  As in, freshly installed this morning. 

I also have a desktop running Arbortext 8.1.2.0.

The new install of 8.2.2.1 will not render .eps files.  It will render SVG files, but not .eps. 

View Graphics is checked. 

DL_954020_0-1715025931417.png

Arbortext 8.2.2.1 does not report the graphics as missing if I do a completeness check. 

If I double-click an eps file icon in Arbortext, it opens the .eps file in Adobe Illustrator. 

I copied the file set with .eps art over to my desktop, running 8.1.2.0,  which renders the .eps files just fine. 

I tried a couple of other file sets using .eps art with 8.2.2.1, and it does not render .eps files from any of those publications. 

Is 8.2.2.1 specifically broken?  Or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance, 

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alexia
13-Aquamarine
(To:DL_954020)

Hello,

We had another User with the same issue - we did a full un-install and fresh installation in the main C:\ drive (not 'C:\Program Files')

This path can be changed by using 'Custom' install instead of 'Typical' install.

We renamed the arbortext.wcf  to arbortext.xxx and they are now able to view their .eps files

I would recommend you try these steps

Best wishes

Alexia

Alexia

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

In editor, If you go to tools, preferences, advanced preferences, then search for graphic. I  you look in the list for graphicapptransform what is the value. Check if the original install has specific settings.

If you go this help center article it explains how the system transforms different image formats.

https://support.ptc.com/help/arbortext/r8.1.2.0/en/index.html#page/Program/acl_ref/help17132.html

https://support.ptc.com/help/arbortext/r8.1.2.0/en/index.html#page/editor/editor_help/help5986.html

It looks like eps should be support ootb

https://support.ptc.com/help/arbortext/r8.1.2.0/en/index.html#page/editor/editor_help/help6070.html

Bryon

DL_954020
4-Participant
(To:bfriesen)

Bryon-

Good call.  I did check there for "eps" but "graphic" is a wider net. 

Sadly, except for the pastegraphicspath, both machines match.

(And they both point to my user directory, so nothing relevant there.)

I'll check the reference links.  Thanks!

Dan

Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Hello Dan,

I would recommend taking a copy of your arbortext.wcf file from the 8.1.2.0 installation and copy it to the 8.2.2.1 installation.

You can find the path for your arbortext.wcf file in Editor - Go to 'Help > Session > Session' and scroll down to see the 'Preferences File' location.

Navigate to this file - take a copy and then check the path in your 8.2.2.1 installation, and copy the file here.

There are probably different preference settings that you have not configured in your new version installation.

Hopefully this should resolve the problem

Alexia

Alexia
DL_954020
4-Participant
(To:Alexia)

Alexia-

Good call.  I went through both .wcf files and everything appears to be the same.  I'm not seeing anything different in the new one that would stop AT from rendering eps files. 

Thanks,

Dan

Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Hi Dan -

There will be a difference somewhere in your environment settings causing the oddity - the issue is trying to find where it is.

Could you compare your environment variables - maybe you have an APT....... path setup on your working environment that you do not have setup on your new laptop.

I would recommend copy/pasting the .wcf just in case there is something you are missing.

If these suggestions do not help you may need to raise a Case with PTC Technical Support and have them investigate further.

I hope this is of help

Alexia

Alexia
DL_954020
4-Participant

FYI if you are reading this, I never did figure out the issue.  Ended up uninstalling 8.2.2.1 and rolling back to 8.2.1.0.  

Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Are you able to raise a Case with PTC Technical Support?

It seems very odd behaviour and in my testing with a sample .eps I have no issues at all.

• Is it a completely vanilla installation?
  • Can you test by doing a full proper uninstall of 8.1 and then a new fresh 8.2 install?
  • Do you have any other PTC Products installed aside from what is installed with Arbortext Editor?
    EG: CreoView or IsoView - I wonder if the registry is getting confused

I will keep an eye and speak to the developers to see if we can get this working for you - but as I am unable to replicate it on my laptop with my installations of 8.1 and 8.2 it unfortunately may be a bit of a 'try this...........try that' scenario

Best wishes

Alexia

Alexia
Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Hello Dan,

I wanted to see if my last recommendation resolved your issue.
If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of other members who may have the same question.
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know. 

Best wishes

Alexia

Alexia
Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Hello,

We had another User with the same issue - we did a full un-install and fresh installation in the main C:\ drive (not 'C:\Program Files')

This path can be changed by using 'Custom' install instead of 'Typical' install.

We renamed the arbortext.wcf  to arbortext.xxx and they are now able to view their .eps files

I would recommend you try these steps

Best wishes

Alexia

Alexia
DL_954020
4-Participant

Alexia-

That works.   🙂  

I got a free minute today to test this on my desktop machine.  (I rolled the laptop back to 8.2.1.0 and it is working, Figured I would test on the desktop machine, for a second data point about .eps files out of the box.)

Uninstalled three previous versions of Arbortext that were on the desktop machine, one a time, rebooting after each uninstall. 

Finally got all the previous versions removed, rebooted, installed Arbortext 8.2.2.1, doing a  complete install to c:\programs...  via the MSI.  Rebooted after the install. 

Opened a couple of XML documents with linked .eps graphics.  Got the same results as with the previous 8.2.2.1 install on my laptop, Arbortext 8.2.2.1 did not render .eps files. 

Rebooted, uninstalled 8.2.2.1, rebooted, installed 8.2.2.1 via the MSI, custom install option, to C:\AT8221.  

(Could not do a complete install.  COMPLETE install did not give me the option to pick a destination directory, had to use the CUSTOM option to get a directory choice.)

Rebooted after the install completed.  Started Arbortext 8.2.2.1. Opened an XML file with linked  .eps graphics,  Using a custom install directory, Arbortext 8.2.2.1 rendered the EPS files as normal. 

It works.  I am deeply irritated that it works, but it works. 

Thank you so much for the solution.   I'm going to share that with my IT people. 

Dan

Alexia
13-Aquamarine

Hi Dan 

Thank you for being so diligent in your testing and letting me know - it really does help us.

I am in contact with the development team to see if maybe there is something we need to switch up with the default location of our install, as Windows puts some odd limitations on that folder.

Would you mind marking the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of other members who may have the same question.

Thank you

Alexia

Alexia
DL_954020
4-Participant

> marking the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution

Done.  Thanks again for the work-around.   It would not have occurred to me to just install to c:\ instead of c:\programs somewhere.

For what it is worth, as background data, both problem machines had multiple previous installs of Arbortext (various versions, mostly 8.x) and both were running AT 8.2.1.0 as "regular" copy. 

I don't have another machine to test AT 8.2.2.1 as a "clean" install.  

Regards,

Dan

Top Tags