cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

History of Pro/ENGINEER Video

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

History of Pro/ENGINEER Video

All,

I remember a post within the last 6 months or so that had a link to a video that showed the history Pro/ENGINEER since revision 1 but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that link?

9 REPLIES 9
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pwilliams-3)

It's on Olaf Corten's site. www.proesite.com<">http://www.proesite.com> Then click on miscellaneous.

I started using Pro/E on Release 12 and it looked just like Release 1.

At least I remember it this way.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Funny, I thought the same thing. I started on Release 15/16.
Until the "age of icons" came along, it had that UNIX thing going on.

Steve
dgallup
4-Participant

I saw Pro/E demoed at Rel 1 and decided it was the way of the future on the spot. Just like the day I saw a Hewlett-Packard RPN calculator and knew it was superior to anything else available. I had a new project starting with $budget$ and we were looking for something better than AutoMAD. Also had an Apollo workstation to run it on (purchased for FEA). By the time we got it Pro/E had already gone ro Rel 2. We had a 2 digit site ID. Guess that makes me an early adopter.

Changing releases in those days was a real pain. You had to run every object in the database through a translator prior to opening in the new release. And the "drawing mode" consisted of making 2D views of the parts & assemblies so you could save as DXF and open in a 2D package for detailing. So much for maintaining the parametric association between model and drawing. PTC's position at the time was that "There are many 3rd part programs available that do a much better job of detailing drawings". I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

In Reply to

David,

I love hearing stories like this. The pioneers who fist started using something new and how things changed along the way.

Thanks for sharing.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

I do not see any videos on Olaf's misc. page.
Does anyone have a direct link?

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

In Reply to

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Thansk to all that replied and told me it's an embedded video.
Unfortunately, all videos are blocked for us.

Gerry

In Reply to Gerry Champoux:

I do not see any videos on Olaf's misc. page.
Does anyone have a direct link?

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

In Reply to

Hi All,

Rev 7 started my Pro/E journey.

It was a time when:

Wireframe viewingwasfaster and more stable than shaded screen refreshing.

Screen refresh was from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Regeneration could take 25 or moreminutes to complete (with or without the big clock!)

Crashes were a DAILY occurrance!

There were no icons..anywhere. In fact, I attended a User conference where it was stated by aPTC rep that Icons would "NEVER" be used by PTC for Pro/E....ever, ever...ever!

Trail files were a modeler's friend....as long as you knew how to modify the file to remove the last line where the crash occured.

Having a15 inch monitor meant you were the Top Dog in your group.

the good old days. 🐵

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags