cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Kepserver Data Logger Create New Table

JH_3782320
4-Participant

Kepserver Data Logger Create New Table

Is there a way to enable and disable the log group with a trigger from a PLC? I need to have the data logger create a new table each time the log group is triggered. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Creating an new table name each time is an unusual appr

oach. Appending is all I have ever seen done. Queries using an ever expanding list of table names , which would be required to use the stored data, is something I personally have never seen done.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hello,

Yes, we can configure Datalogger to create a new table every time new log is started.

Please check the image attached and Manual.

MK_9957474_0-1708701024656.png

If you still have doubt please open a support ticket with us, Login to mykepware.com.

Regards,

Mohit

JH_3782320
4-Participant
(To:JH_3782320)

Thank you for your reply.

We need the data logger to create a table each time the log group is triggered not enabled? The log group does create the the new table each time it is manually enabled but not each time the logging is triggered from the PLC to start. The log group has to be enabled before we can trigger the logging on and off via a PLC tag. When we enable the the log group, that is when it creates the new table, but it appends the log data to the same table each time we trigger the logging to start. We need separate tables for each triggered data log event from the PLC. 

Thanks!

ntripathi
13-Aquamarine
(To:JH_3782320)

Greetings @JH_3782320 

It sounds like you want the data logger to create a new table each time the log group is triggered by the PLC, rather than relying on manual enabling.

To achieve this, you’ll need to configure your data logger to dynamically create a new table whenever the logging process starts.  Unfortunately, not all data loggers have this feature built-in, so you might need to explore specific settings or custom solutions. 

Please address below steps:-

1. PLC Trigger Setup:
    • Ensure that your PLC is set up to trigger the logging process when specific conditions are met (e.g., a specific tag value changes).
    • This trigger should initiate the data logging operation.
  2. Table Naming Convention:
    • Decide on a naming convention for your tables. For example, you could use timestamps or unique identifiers.
    • Each time the PLC triggers logging, the data logger will create a new table with an appropriate name.

Remember that achieving this functionality might require some customization based on your specific data logger and PLC setup.

JH_3782320
4-Participant
(To:ntripathi)

Greetings,

I believe there is some confusion, I am specifically referring to the Kepserverex Data logger. I have read the entire manual and I can get the Kepserverex data logger to log data to my table in the data base using a trigger from the PLC; all of that works. Since we are turning on and off the data logging with the trigger each time a part is processed in our tool, which the PLC is controlling, the table is filling with appended data for thousands of parts and millions of rows of data that needs to be parsed. It would make more sense to automatically create a new table for each processed part, but to do that you would have to manually disable and then enable the log group to create the new table each time a new part is processed. There has to be a way to create the new table automatically or the Kepserverex data logger plugin is useless as a data logger. 

Thanks

Creating an new table name each time is an unusual appr

oach. Appending is all I have ever seen done. Queries using an ever expanding list of table names , which would be required to use the stored data, is something I personally have never seen done.

I wanted to do something similar to disable the logging on the standby machine of a redundant pair and could NOT find a way to disable a log group programmatically. You can see the tag in the OPC quick client but it doesn't do anything when you toggle it. 

Top Tags