cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Directory for clamping elements for milling

SD_9089770
2-Guest

Directory for clamping elements for milling

Hi,

I'm searching for a directory for milling clamping elements like vices, chucks and collets. Whithout the directory, the elements have to be saved in the corresponding working directory, which consumes a lot of storage space.

I already tried to add "pro_mf_clamp_dir" in my config, but i guess this command only works for NC sheetmetal and not for milling.

Software is Creo 8.0.5.0

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Best regards,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not specific to manufacturing, but you should look into setting up directories of parts you want to use in many designs, like fasteners, bearings, and what you are looking for, clamps.

There's a file we use called "search.pro", located in everyone's "start in" directory, the directory Creo is in when it's started up. This "search.pro" file consists of lines of directory specifications, each enclosed in quotes. For example:

"\\big-server\Shared\Hardware\Clamps - De-Sta-Co"

The quotes are highly recommended. If omitted the directory listings will be truncated to the first whitespace character.

Once the "search.pro" file is built, a line in your "config.pro" tells Creo to use it. The line in my "config.pro" is:

search_path_file C:\ptc\search.pro

Once this is set up, as long as you've spelled the directories correctly, now you can use the models in those directories anywhere you like without having to copy them all over the place in local directories.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Not specific to manufacturing, but you should look into setting up directories of parts you want to use in many designs, like fasteners, bearings, and what you are looking for, clamps.

There's a file we use called "search.pro", located in everyone's "start in" directory, the directory Creo is in when it's started up. This "search.pro" file consists of lines of directory specifications, each enclosed in quotes. For example:

"\\big-server\Shared\Hardware\Clamps - De-Sta-Co"

The quotes are highly recommended. If omitted the directory listings will be truncated to the first whitespace character.

Once the "search.pro" file is built, a line in your "config.pro" tells Creo to use it. The line in my "config.pro" is:

search_path_file C:\ptc\search.pro

Once this is set up, as long as you've spelled the directories correctly, now you can use the models in those directories anywhere you like without having to copy them all over the place in local directories.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:KenFarley)

Is there an advantage to using c:\ptc\search.pro vs just using config.pro?

Is that because you have spaces in your search paths?

We currently have 15 directories that are used for various tooling, hardware, and other components that we re-use in hundreds of assemblies.

Having these specified is a file is easier to manage:

(1) We share the list of directories among many users. Making changes or additions to the list is much easier if it's isolated in one file rather than included in everyone's config.pro. Plus editing just a list of directories is much simpler than slogging through a config.pro that has lots of other content.

(2) As you mentioned, I don't know if you can have spaces in the directory specifications if they're being defined in a config.pro.

I've always used a separate file for specifying paths, it's particularly helpful for situations where I'm pulling in an additional list of paths when I'm working on specific large projects, like this discussion...

Past Search Path Answer 

Top Tags