cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Post-processor for Fanuc 6 / ProtoTrak SMX 3-axis CNC mill controller?

J_M_Hoffmann
3-Visitor

Post-processor for Fanuc 6 / ProtoTrak SMX 3-axis CNC mill controller?

Hi there.  I would like to export a CL file of a part from Creo Manufacturing and to then post-process it to G-Code to mill on our ProtoTrak DPM2 3-axis CNC machine (with SMX controller).

The roadblock is that I don't have a post-processor for the ProtoTrak DPM2 CNC machine, so I was hoping someone could direct me through the setup process in a few bulleted points.

The end goal is to be able to mill some parts with complex surfaces with our ProtoTrak CNC machine. The ProtoTrak company website states that it is the CAM software's (in this case Creo) responsibility to post process the CL to understandable G-code for their machine, which they say takes the same G-Code instruction set as a Fanuc 6 CNC machine.

I also have the accepted G Codes in a manual for the specific machine open on my computer, in case anyone asks, which I will upload as a screenshot. 

I am using Creo Parametric version 8.0.8.0

1 REPLY 1

Since the ProtoTrak seems to be a pretty basic machine, you can probably start with one of the default post-processors that come with Creo manufacturing. Try one and see if it gives you what you need. If not, maybe you can tweak it via the Options File Generator.

Developing your own is not a straightforward process that can be specified with a checklist. Any ones I've done have required me to experiment with the machine to verify I was giving it the right commands, talking to the machine provider about the correct prep codes, etc.

This topic, or something similar with different machines, comes up somewhat regularly. Here are some examples:

Tormach with info about possible source (Austin NC):

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Manufacturing-CAM/Post-Processor-for-Tormach-1100MX/m-p/880300#M5268 

Huco (Hurco?) that lists possible resource for posts:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Manufacturing-CAM/VTXU-Post-Processor/m-p/35424#M2025 

Top Tags