cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

seeking milling sequence advice- Creo Manufacturing but somewhat generic

jferguson4
12-Amethyst

seeking milling sequence advice- Creo Manufacturing but somewhat generic

I've devised a milling sequence which will make my part, but I would like what I've done criticized for my choice, and sequence, of methods. I would post an image of the part and then list sequence ie. mill window, face, rough, profile, finish and include tool choice.

Cycle time is not really an issue, but I guess I worry that what I'm doing may not be best.

CNC Mill is a Sherline 2000 running under LinuxCNC.  I did the Post with GPOST and it has worked fine with other parts.

If this is reasonable to ask, how should I post my topic?

6 REPLIES 6

Can you save a backup of your manufacturing files to a folder and then zip it and upload?

jferguson4
12-Amethyst
(To:bmuller)

sure.  later today.   and thank you for your reply.

Manufacturing Files,  Does this mean the model, the workpiece, and the Manufacturing.asm files,such that you can load everything?  I ask not from concern about showing the part, but because this seems like a lot for you to look at.  

Let me know how to give you what you are asking for if it isn't all of the above,

and thank you for your very kind offer.

john

Create a new folder on your desktop, then in your manufacturing assembly, do File->SaveAs->SaveABackup-><yourfolder>. Then zip that folder and upload. That will save everything we would need to have to see your manufacturing assembly.

jferguson4
12-Amethyst
(To:bmuller)

Machine is a Sherline 2000 running on LinuxCNC in controller I built. Max spindle RPM 2800, max feed 20 ipm.

Part will be an X-acto #11 blade holder for my  use only.  There is also the clamp 9not included here)  which will be secured with two 4-40 socket head cap-screws to the part I've shown.

Part will be cut from .125 6061 T6.

Sequence is to , Drill the two holes with .092 drill, face workpiece with .250 end mill,  rough the cavity with .125 end mill, then profile with .0625 end mill, to clean up what was roughed a bit and cut the slot in the bottom, then finish with .0625 end mill, and cut the part loose with .125 end mill.

I'm retired and 78 and think I have a lot of time. This is not a revenue project but more to come up to speed with Creo Manufacturing. 

What I'm looking for here, is criticism of my choice and sequence of steps.  If you were going to make this thing, what would you have done?

Please don't worry about hurting my feelings.  

I've kept working on this, and my sequence is now Drill, Volume Mill, Pocket Mill and Profile.

This seems pretty simple and appears to have much less motion.

Top Tags