cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

2 computers, 1 subscription - best solution?

relayman357
9-Granite

2 computers, 1 subscription - best solution?

Hi - I just purchased MCAD Prime 8.0 with a subscription which is locked license.  I want to be able to run MCAD on a 2nd computer occasionally (laptop).  As i understand it there is no HOME USE license provision to allow 1 user to use license on 2 machines.

I think these are my options:

A)  I can transfer the license fairly quickly i think (once i get my basic PTC account upgraded).  That seems less pleasant as delays in receiving the .dat file would be incurred.

B) It seems there is a "floating" license option that uses a Flexnet server running on the local network (preferably).  

C) Buy a second license for that 2nd computer.

Am I stuck with C?  Is B possible since I have already purchased a locked license (can i convert)?

thanks,

russ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:relayman357)

Option B is only valid IF the laptop is connected to the network that has the license server.

You can 'borrow' a license from the server for the laptop if you plan on using the laptop off network.

The cost of a second node-locked license for your laptop may be cheaper than the cost of the floating license.

Typically it is a 3-1 price ratio for floating vs node-locked.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Russ,

I recommend that you contact the sales manager and discuss all possible options for you:

https://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_contacts.htm

https://www.ptc.com/en/contact-us

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:relayman357)

Option B is only valid IF the laptop is connected to the network that has the license server.

You can 'borrow' a license from the server for the laptop if you plan on using the laptop off network.

The cost of a second node-locked license for your laptop may be cheaper than the cost of the floating license.

Typically it is a 3-1 price ratio for floating vs node-locked.

Hi,

if you bought SPN-7502-L- Mathcad Professional - Individual then PTC gave you 2 Mathcad Home Use Licenses.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin - I just purchased from the ptc.com website.  All i can tell is the Product code.  But, i went to this page and clicked "included with your subscription" and it does say 2 home use licenses.  That is very hopeful - whenever my Fulfillment Email arrives (the support folks say it may take 2-3 business days to receive) I should be able to figure it out.  I'll report back.  

thank you,

russ

@relayman357 wrote:

Hi Martin - I just purchased from the ptc.com website.  All i can tell is the Product code.  But, i went to this page and clicked "included with your subscription" and it does say 2 home use licenses.  That is very hopeful - whenever my Fulfillment Email arrives (the support folks say it may take 2-3 business days to receive) I should be able to figure it out.  I'll report back.  

thank you,

russ

Hi,

if you activate Included With Your Subscription tab on https://store.ptc.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=21925700&Env=BASE&productID=5095770500&categoryID=5321800 page, you will see confirmation of Home use licenses existence.

Martin Hanák

Ok, I figured out how to assign a home use license for my 2nd pc.  One interesting point, you can't load it while remoted into the PC with Windows Remote Desktop (terminal services).  You have to load the license file from the machine directly.  Would probably work if I were using VNC...

Anyway, all is well and working now.  Appreciate the help!

russ

@relayman357 wrote:

Ok, I figured out how to assign a home use license for my 2nd pc.  One interesting point, you can't load it while remoted into the PC with Windows Remote Desktop (terminal services).  You have to load the license file from the machine directly.  Would probably work if I were using VNC...

Anyway, all is well and working now.  Appreciate the help!

russ

Hi,

home use license is locked license. Therefore you cannot use Windows Remote Desktop to run Mathcad using home use license. Mathcad using floating license can be used via Windows Remote Desktop.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags