cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Bought a new computer - need to transfer my PTC Mathcad license

DS_10024912
12-Amethyst

Bought a new computer - need to transfer my PTC Mathcad license

I feel very negative about PTC and their hyper-convoluted licensing scheme.   I have an extremely simple task.  Transfer an existing license to a new computer.   Please don't send me that 43 page PDF describing every possible licensing scenario for every single product made by PTC.  That just doesn't help.  

At this time I've been directed to this link - which makes absolutely no sense to me

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS20911?_gl=1*lmu7tu*_ga*MTkwNDQxNTgyOC4xNzAzMDM0MDA4*_ga_1QBT6P6HR1*MTcwMzM1MTg3NS4yLjEuMTcwMzM1MTkzMy4yLjAuMA..

In the very first step I'm to this weird website where I need to enter the Sales Order Number (SON), Host ID / Traid, Asset Tag, Service Contract Number (SCN), Subscription Number, and/or Product Group.   However, I've been entering my information into these fields and - really - nothing happens.  And, I don't see what this has to do with transferring a license. 

https://support.ptc.com/apps/licensePortal/auth/ssl/advsearch?_gl=1*1iq7dfc*_ga*MTkwNDQxNTgyOC4xNzAzMDM0MDA4*_ga_1QBT6P6HR1*MTcwMzM1MTg3NS4yLjEuMTcwMzM1MTk0MS42MC4wLjA.*_ga_CBN5QVB9VJ*MTcwMzM1MTg5MS4xLjEuMTcwMzM1MTk0MS4wLjAuMA..

In a word PTC's licensing method is - horrible.  

16 REPLIES 16
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DS_10024912)

Agreed. That's why PTC provide this:

Transferring Mathcad License from Existing Host ID to New Host ID

1. Commercial / Maintenance Active  Customer 
  2. Student Edition or Mathcad Single User Account

Success!
Luc

It doesn't work.  Like I said, nothing happens.   I made a video showing this - however I wouldn't want to post my video here since the video shows my account info.

Hi DS_10024912,

Thank you for using the Community. 

I have created a technical support case for your issue. The team will connect you and assist you further. 

In future, for any such issue please log a case - https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/cs/auth/ssl/log 

Regards,

Anurag 

Thanks, I followed the link and left a comment. 

OP reached out to me yesterday like I'm Tech Support or something. I'm just a random guy with a YouTube channel.

Anyhow, it looks like OP made the mistake of purchasing a license using an email address with a domain owned by someone else who is already a PTC customer. It's like if I had bought a license using, say, a Caterpillar or Amazon email address. So they're trying to get permissions to manage the licenses or file a Tech Support ticket. Some account administrator somewhere is getting these requests and probably saying, I don't know who this person is. They're not part of my organization. I'm not granting them access. They're trying to steal my licenses. Or maybe the account admin is no longer with the organization, and the emails are going nowhere.

Unfortunately for OP, the system is working exactly how it's supposed to.

I told OP their best bet is to go to a VAR and request to become one of their customers. The VAR can probably figure out who the account admin is and untangle the license.

A lesson for people, when purchasing software, always use either a person email address (like GMail) or a domain that you own / control. Also, if you're not an ISG account, buy PTC software through a VAR so you have someone who can help you. I haven't talked to my guy Rob in a couple years, but I know if I ever have a problem, I drop him a line and he'll be right on it. That's the "value added" part of VAR.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

@DaveMartin - That is absolutely false.  I never reached out to you as you state in your post.   You must have confused me with someone else.  

My apologies. Someone reached out to me representing this post as coming from them.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

No, you just commented on the wrong post. This was linked as an example of someone with the same problem.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Installation/new-PC-license-transfer/m-p/918890#M3504

No worries @DaveMartin 

Hi,

I have the exact same issue as OP. I've been through all the typical approaches and guides people like to refer to in this community, but nothing works. I just want to move my license to my new computer, and it seems like an impossible task.

Is there any way to get help on this matter? @anursingh ?

Thanks

this is intentional, they want you to buy a new license to solve the issue.

This is the problem with PTC licensing system.    The Licensing Portal asks for a Sales Order Number.   My invoice has a Sales Order Number.  The Sales Order Number on my invoice is not the SAME Sales Order Number that the Licensing Portal needs.  In other words - there are two so called Sales Order Numbers - that aren't the same number.    Confused yet?    Yeah, that's how screwed up PTC is when it comes to licensing.  Anyway, I've got Mathcad up and running.    It would be nice if PTC got their act together and fixed their overly complicated licensing system - but, I have my doubts it would ever be that easy.   See you folks next year when my license renews - and fails to install. 

I'm having the same issue, where did you find the correct same order number? Their system really is a trainwreck.

I was on the phone with tech support - and we discovered the problem together while sharing my screen.   Yeah, PTC has one of the worst licensing schemes - convoluted is an understatement.  

sorry to bother you about it, could you share the phone number that worked for you? I tried 800-477-6435, which is supposedly their North America support number. Every time I called it over a 5 hour period the automated system said the staff was on lunch break.

Hi @licensetransfer  - Were you able to resolve the license issue?    @anursingh  created a ticket for me and provided a link (in this thread) for future ticket creation.    Generally, I've found support to be good (i.e. email and/or call within a day or two).    FYI - I bought the commercial license.

Top Tags