cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Support for *.mni files (Mathcad Native Interface file)

EP_10786887
3-Visitor

Support for *.mni files (Mathcad Native Interface file)

HI, I have successfully installed the MathCAD Prime 30-day trial. However, I am unable to open a pre-existing *.mni file (Mathcad Native Interface file).
Does Mathcad Express support them? Is there any way to convert them to a file format recognizable by MathCAD Prime?

Thanks! Eddy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:EP_10786887)

With this background information, and (over the past 30+ years of using Mathcad) never having heard of a 'Mathcad Native Interface' file, my guess is that the company has a Mathcad worksheet file of their own, proprietary, design that contains a function that writes such files. Or else they built it as an add-on function to Mathcad in a .DLL file. In any case, its not available to every Mathcad user, and certainly not to Prime Express users.

The best option would be to ask the company how they create the file, and if they (also) have a function to read the file back in Mathcad.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I've never heard of .MNI files, certainly not within the scope of Mathcad, nor Prime.

Found this onj the internet: http://dotwhat.net/file/extension/mni/3964

Can you attach one such file?

Success!

Luc

Hi Luc, thanks for the info. Attached is one such file.

Cordially, Eddy

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Hi, here it is!

Eddy

How have you used this file before?

I have never used it before. A company I’m starting to consult with said that their Optoform lathe takes these files as input, to cut contact lenses. They said they were exported via Mathcad.

Cordially, Eddy
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

With this background information, and (over the past 30+ years of using Mathcad) never having heard of a 'Mathcad Native Interface' file, my guess is that the company has a Mathcad worksheet file of their own, proprietary, design that contains a function that writes such files. Or else they built it as an add-on function to Mathcad in a .DLL file. In any case, its not available to every Mathcad user, and certainly not to Prime Express users.

The best option would be to ask the company how they create the file, and if they (also) have a function to read the file back in Mathcad.

Success!
Luc

Thanks Luc! This makes a lot of sense!
Eddy

1. Here is what the description of this format looks like, quote (link: https://patents.google.com/patent/US9248614B2/en ) :

"Mini File Generation:
The geometry to achieve the lens design is described in a file called mini file. The mini file (.MNI) is a geometric description of the profile to be generated that allows complex geometries to be described with comparatively small files and the time to process these files is relatively small when compared with job files (.JFL). Mini files for silicone Hydrogel are created using Mini File Engine software package. The mini files describe any surface in a reasonable number of zones and is unique for each order.
Lens Lathing:
Once the polymer button and mini files have been generated, OPTOFORM lathes (any one of Optoform 40, Optoform 50, and Optoform 80 with or without the Variform or Varimax third axis attachment) plus their off axis conic generators are used to perform the concave or convex lens lathing".

2. And a software that export a ready mini file for Optoform: https://www.precitech.com/product/diffsys/for-ophthalmic

minifile-3d-window

export-minifile-window

Thanks, Vladimir! Very helpful! Between Yor answer and Luc's, I think I know what's going on!
Eddy

You're welcome.

Top Tags