cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

4x4 Magic Square.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

4x4 Magic Square.

Hello, Everyone.

(1).PNG

Is it possible to solve M matrix, the above ?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

One can get quite far though:

It's just that the inequality constraint (involving M01 and M03) is not obeyed. Note that I first tried:

But then I got an error message saying it's not allowed inside a solve block.

Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lvl107)

At first glance: no

Reason: your system is over-constrained. You have 16 variables to find, you can have only 16 constraints.

The requirement of a magic square (sums of all 4 rows and of all 4 columns and along the 2 main diagonals must be equal) already gives you at least 4+4+2-1=9 constraints. Now you've added 16 more constraints, totalling 25.

Another constraint from the magic square is that all your variables must be different AND in the range 1 through 16.

Success!

Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:LucMeekes)

Dürer matrix.jpg

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Apart from what Luc already wrote you would have to constraint the matrix elements to be integers - something which Mathcad is not really good at.

So I guess the better option to get a magic square is to write a program following one of the algorithms to build a magic square. There a quite some in print, ususally differing according to the magnitude of the sqare, distinguishing odd or even order and as far as I remember ther is a short algorithm dealing with squares of a mgnitude which is divisable by 4.

What exactly ist the problem you should solve for homework?

WE

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

One can get quite far though:

It's just that the inequality constraint (involving M01 and M03) is not obeyed. Note that I first tried:

But then I got an error message saying it's not allowed inside a solve block.

Luc

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Thanks for your time and help, Werner and Luc.

I have just realized my question at the moment about :  Pandiagonal magic square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(1).PNG (1).PNG

Is it possible to solve COMPLETE MAGIC SQUARE, and How many solution in this case ?

Best Regards.

Loi.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

(1).PNG(1).PNG

How many solution else for COMPLETE MAGIC SQUARE does it have in this case ?

(1).PNG

(1).PNG

(1).PNG

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Loi.

Top Tags