cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Automating Heading Information

JohnHinman
1-Newbie

Automating Heading Information

Any way to automate the heading fields? Some users keep forgetting to open the header/footer and changing the subject, user name, etc, as they don't see those fields when using the worksheet.

It would be cool to have push button that would open a dialog box that would open or update the Header, or perhaps a way to enter the header info in the visible part of the worksheet and have the header read that. That would save us from having people file calcualtions with incorrect identifying information.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:JohnHinman)

It should be possible with a mix of a VBscript using the MathCAD API and a bit of using the Microsoft objects that the VB component can access. Basically, you get hold of the handle to the application then fire off the menu actions to fire up the header footer.

Have a look at the various other components, e.g. for access file directories etc.

Philip

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Seems like a lot of hassle to be honest.

Why don't you create a template calculation, once opened the header and footer can be blank and you could have FILL HEADER & FOOTER OUT on the top of the first page. This would stop be forgetting.

Bit of a lazy solution

Mike

Mike - I love low-tech solutions! That might help, but wil not be a cure-all.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

but wil not be a cure-all.

I know, but would a script file be the cure-all?

Mike

No, a script will not be a cure-all. Given human nature, nothing will be a cure-all!

A script that ran when the file opens would be a good thing - even something as simple as opening the Header/Footer editing box.

I did go in and add a reminder to fill in the header - 20-point text, red, bold, but off of the page that will be printed.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

A script that ran when the file opens would be a good thing - even something as simple as opening the Header/Footer editing box.

That would be nice.

I did go in and add a reminder to fill in the header - 20-point text, red, bold, but off of the page that will be printed.

Perfect.

Mike

Top Tags