cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Contour plot

RR_10484311
4-Participant

Contour plot

Hi, is there any chance for me to make contour plot which will look the same as the  A-B plot I sent you, but I want that the greater the value of member of array C for designated position is, the color of point for that position would be closer to red (classic contour plot with rainbow colors).

Best regards and thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A contour plot is for surfaces only and the lines you would see are those of equal height (and equal color).

In real Mathcad (MC15 and below) you could create a 3D-plot, chose for color one of the predefined colormaps like "Rainbow" or provide your own color map and arrange the plot so you have a view exactly from above:

Werner_E_1-1669299704466.png

The rightmost pic shows a logarithmically scaled y-axis which seemed to me more appropriate for the given data.

But the possibilities in Prime are much more meager and especially when it comes to 3D plots this software is a mess.  Actually you could do in Prime what I have shown in the picture, but it would be quite a hassle to get the correct view from above because you would have to fiddle around with the mouse instead of being able to set the view numerically (rotation, tilt, twist and zoom) as in Mathcad. Moreover Prime only allows solid colors and so the wished for effect can't be accomplished.
I actually see no easy way to create in Prime the plot colored the way you demand.

A (sure too much) elaborate possibility would be to generate an appropriate image matrix with a Mathcad program (probably working, but not completely serious meant). You would have to program yourself something like a Bresenham algorithm for plotting lines. And since Prime, unlike real Mathcad, doesn't even provide an image operator, you would not even be able to see the image right away, but would have to save it to a file first and then manually import it back into the Prime file as a picture. Undoubtedly, all in all, far too much effort.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

A contour plot is for surfaces only and the lines you would see are those of equal height (and equal color).

In real Mathcad (MC15 and below) you could create a 3D-plot, chose for color one of the predefined colormaps like "Rainbow" or provide your own color map and arrange the plot so you have a view exactly from above:

Werner_E_1-1669299704466.png

The rightmost pic shows a logarithmically scaled y-axis which seemed to me more appropriate for the given data.

But the possibilities in Prime are much more meager and especially when it comes to 3D plots this software is a mess.  Actually you could do in Prime what I have shown in the picture, but it would be quite a hassle to get the correct view from above because you would have to fiddle around with the mouse instead of being able to set the view numerically (rotation, tilt, twist and zoom) as in Mathcad. Moreover Prime only allows solid colors and so the wished for effect can't be accomplished.
I actually see no easy way to create in Prime the plot colored the way you demand.

A (sure too much) elaborate possibility would be to generate an appropriate image matrix with a Mathcad program (probably working, but not completely serious meant). You would have to program yourself something like a Bresenham algorithm for plotting lines. And since Prime, unlike real Mathcad, doesn't even provide an image operator, you would not even be able to see the image right away, but would have to save it to a file first and then manually import it back into the Prime file as a picture. Undoubtedly, all in all, far too much effort.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:RR_10484311)

image.png3D plot3D plotA-B plotA-B plot

Or that way

Werner_E_0-1669665605985.png

Werner_E_1-1669675809382.png

But it's a shame that we have to resort to tedious and inadequate workarounds just because the software is so inferior and doesn't provide elementary features even after about 15 years of "development".

Top Tags