cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Definite Integral Issue with Mathcad 15

mshaw-3
1-Newbie

Definite Integral Issue with Mathcad 15

Hi there,

Not sure if I have an incorrect implementation/setup or if it's some kind of bug...

If I perform the following in Mathcad 2001i, it works instantly:

Mathcad+2001i.PNG

If I perform the same in Mathcad 15 it will not solve and I eventually I get the message "Condition contains Otherwise in subexpression".

Mathcad+15.PNG

I have attached the files I have been using for your perusal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree with Richard and others that integrals and especially definite integrals alway were a nightmare when the symbolics changed to MuPad. I still remember the many clearly wrong results of rather simple definite Integrals in Mathcad 14 and the some even in the first release of MC15.

This one here is really bad, especially given that its an easy one and consequently the indefinite interal is no problem, not even for Mupad.

That way we can create a workaround here:

1.png

The problem may arise because Mupad defaults to domain complex and that way probably has to make more distinction of cases as we may think of. Not sure about that, though.

If I tell Mathcad/MuPad that all variables are real and positive, I get a result but its frightening and takes quite long to calculate! I am not even sure its correct and equivalent to the above. Not sure whats going on here.

2.png.......

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:mshaw-3)

I also get an error message, looks like a bug to me.

Thanks.

Wasn't sure if I had any settings at error within the worksheet. I don't think I do, I literally loaded Mathcad and entered the equation.

If it is a bug - do the PTC devs look in on these forums? Or would I need to submit to somewhere first?

Thankyou.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mike Shaw wrote:

Thanks.

If it is a bug - do the PTC devs look in on these forums? Or would I need to submit to somewhere first?

Thankyou.

I think you will have to raise a Customer Support call to the Technical Support department. See http://www.ptc.com/cs/doc/copen.htm for how to contact PTC technical support.

Thankyou. It seems I have to upgrade my Account (I purchased a Student Version for Open University work), but I don't have a Customer Number...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Unfortunately I do not have those privileges either. Maybe someone who doe will report it for you. VladimirN.

is usually very helpful in these situations.

Mathcad 2001i has a Maple symbolic engine

Mathcad 13-15 - MuPad symbolic engine

But Maple is Maple - the best symbolic tool!

Interesting, I didn't know that - thankyou.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The MuPad symbolic engine has always been very weak when it comes to integrals, and especially definite integrals. In this case it can solve the indefinite integral, but not the definite integral, which is not logical. This is not the first example I've seen where this is the case though.

At a minimum, the error message is clearly a bug.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

The MuPad symbolic engine has always been very weak when it comes to integrals, and especially definite integrals. In this case it can solve the indefinite integral, but not the definite integral, which is not logical. This is not the first example I've seen where this is the case though.

Interesting. That's definitely something to bear in mind.

At a minimum, the error message is clearly a bug.

Maybe, Maybe Not. At a Mathcad level, probably, but it's possibly telling us something the internal error that MuPad encountered.

Stuart

I agree with Richard and others that integrals and especially definite integrals alway were a nightmare when the symbolics changed to MuPad. I still remember the many clearly wrong results of rather simple definite Integrals in Mathcad 14 and the some even in the first release of MC15.

This one here is really bad, especially given that its an easy one and consequently the indefinite interal is no problem, not even for Mupad.

That way we can create a workaround here:

1.png

The problem may arise because Mupad defaults to domain complex and that way probably has to make more distinction of cases as we may think of. Not sure about that, though.

If I tell Mathcad/MuPad that all variables are real and positive, I get a result but its frightening and takes quite long to calculate! I am not even sure its correct and equivalent to the above. Not sure whats going on here.

2.png.......

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I have the following result (as in MC2001i) by using "simplify" and "assume" symbolical operators in the MC15 F000 service release:

Pic_1.png

Pic_2.png

Pic_3.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

In MC15 030 I get something different:

intetgral.png

If I add z to the list I get the desired result:

Integral2.png

If I also add L to the list I get a big, ugly answer that's similar to, but not the same as, the one Werner shows.

So the trick seems to be to force the domain of all the variables in the kernal, but not the limits.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Major symbolic weirdness! I just did it again. If I have only Z and X in the list I get the incomplete solution. Then I copy and paste the expression and add z to the list, and I get the desired solution. BUT, if I then disable calculation for the first expression and enable it again, it also gives the desired solution!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Richard Jackson wrote:

Major symbolic weirdness! I just did it again. If I have only Z and X in the list I get the incomplete solution. Then I copy and paste the expression and add z to the list, and I get the desired solution. BUT, if I then disable calculation for the first expression and enable it again, it also gives the desired solution!

Does that mean it's Friday?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

. Good point. Maybe this doesn't happen except on certain days. With Mathcad symbolics almost anything is possible!

Actually, I think I have seen this kind of "memory" behavior before, but not in a way where I could reproduce it at will.

Top Tags