cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Diplaying symbols incorrectly

ptc-4525136
1-Newbie

Diplaying symbols incorrectly

I’ve just reinstalled MathCAD 15, but it won’t display certain symbols such as the multiplication dot, parentheses that encompass a fraction, integrals, etc. I’ve included a screen shot of the problem I’m having and am hoping it can be solved.

mathcad+problem.png

What I’ve just tried to type into the sheet is y:=((x/2)*(x-2)^2+2)^3

I've no clue why it's started doing this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4525136)

This has been seen before, many times. The symbol font is probably corrupted. Delete the existing one (symbol.ttf) from the Windows/fonts folder, and then drop a new copy of the font into the same folder to reinstall it.

I went into C:/Windows/fonts but am unable to find that file you specified...

Where would I get that font to put into the folder?

And thanks for helping!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Here's a copy.

Under Windows 7 the font will appear as "Symbol regular". I should qualify what I said by adding that I have never tried to replace the font under Windows 7. Still, if it's not there then you have nothing to lose by dropping the font into the folder to see what happens! Under XP, if it was successful it will tell you it was installed, and I assume it will also do that under Win 7.

It worked! Thanks.

FYI, for Win 7, once I extracted symbol.tiff to the desktop, I just double-clicked it and pressed instal. Installed and done!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Thanks for the information. Under XP, if you don't delete the font first it doesn't do anything because it thinks it's already installed. It doesn't tell you that though, it just doesn't do anything, which is dumb! That might also be true under Win 7 if you had the font in the fonts folder.

Top Tags