cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Equation Solving.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Equation Solving.

Hello, Everyone.

Solve+X%2CY%2CZ.PNG

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Did you look at Valerys post? It seems that Mathcad is not good at solving diophantic equations and so all I can think of is to try it with brute force like Valery had shown. Look at the attached. It seems that there are quite some solutions for X=100. Calculation time quickly grows if you increase the endvalues for X and Y (the parameters of the function Sol). As you can see in the screenshotmy machine is rather slow 😉 So good luck and patience.

WE

dioph.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

It is one solution in/for Mathcad - in/for an engeneering office Or you would like to have one integer solution!?

XYZ.png

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

One set of integer solution seems to be 7722793 / 197 / 1 for X / Y / Z.

But Mathcad's Find seems not to be able to find it using constraints like X=trunc(X), etc.

12.12_1.png

Strange effect with symbolic evaluation without guess values. Why does MC solve for Y?

12.12_2.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Many thanks for your help, Werner and Valery. And I have a related question :

Integer+solution.PNG

Regards.

One more simple integer task for some meditation:

100.png

One more old problem:

A smith had 8 pieces of copper, each weighing 1 pound and 8 spools. This smith made from this copper 6 kettles whith weighing 1 pound, 21 lots and 1 spool. How many lots is in one pound and how many spools is in one lot? Do you know old russian weight units - pound, lot and spool?

I've seen this problem with the answer in one old book. I could search in internet old Russian pound, lot and spool. But I found the answer by using Mathcad! Can you do it?

I think there is a lot of same task with old english/US units of mass, weight and money.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

And I need help with a brief explanation for the following :

Guess-Given-Find+%26+Integer+solution.PNG

Regards.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hello again, and I have a related question :

Equation+2.PNG

and with my solution ( attachment ) is still a cheating-guess way. And I really need help with another way.

Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Did you look at Valerys post? It seems that Mathcad is not good at solving diophantic equations and so all I can think of is to try it with brute force like Valery had shown. Look at the attached. It seems that there are quite some solutions for X=100. Calculation time quickly grows if you increase the endvalues for X and Y (the parameters of the function Sol). As you can see in the screenshotmy machine is rather slow 😉 So good luck and patience.

WE

dioph.png

Werner Exinger wrote:

Did you look at Valerys post?

Do you know than a+b sometime is not equel b+a - in Numeric and symbolic Math

See please http://communities.ptc.com/groups/mathcad-paradoxes

Top Tags