cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Explorer refresh with Mcad 15

Ian1
1-Newbie

Explorer refresh with Mcad 15

Since I have had MC15 I have noticed a problem.

If Mcad is loaded then almost exactly at 1 min intervals the explorer screen refreshes. So if for instance I am looking at a load of photos in Explorer (not IE), every minute it jumps back to the first one. Close MCad and the problems goes away.

We are running on PC under XP

Anyone else noticed this problem and more importantly, anyone solved it !

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ninetrees
1-Newbie
(To:Ian1)

M15 installs two other products that you might not be aware of...

1. PTC Places
2. Mathcad PDSi viewable support.

The first creates the behavior that you see in the File Manager. I deleted my copy. If you delete this, the effect will disappear.

The second is of dubious value to me...seems to have something to do with sharing PTC files...I deleted my copy.

~R~

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have Mathcad 15 installed and use Explorer and haven't noticed any problems.

Have you tried re-installing Mathcad?

Mike

I see it too.

Open Explorer and select a file in a folder. If Mathcad is open and you wait a while (it doesn't take that long) the file selection will clear. This does not happen if Mathcad is not open.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Right ok I see it, but it only happens once, then the highlighted selection stays.

Mike

but it only happens once, then the highlighted selection stays.

Not for me it doesn't. Perhaps you are not waiting long enough the second time?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Not for me it doesn't. Perhaps you are not waiting long enough the second time?

I waited a while then and it didn't happen.

However, it does happen if I reselect the sub-folder.

Mike

Are you running XP?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Yes.

I see it too on my new home netbook (XP + V15 MC15_M005_20101105)

I'll put in a bug report etc.

Philip

//info//

Call Number 7971796

Short Description See http://communities.ptc.com/message/156250#156250 - The PTC Places software installed with MC15 corrupts the Windows Explorer display.

Message was edited by: Philip. Oakley. //info// added

Ninetrees
1-Newbie

1. PTC Places

The first creates the behavior that you see in the File Manager. I deleted my copy. If you delete this, the effect will disappear.

The second is of dubious value to me...seems to have something to do with sharing PTC files...I deleted my copy.

~R~

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:Ninetrees)

Dear Rich,

I also see the problem (MC15 M005 + XP). How did you remove PTC places I can see Mathcad PDSI viewable support but not PTC places in my control panel. I do see it in my explorer tree but cannot delete it from there.

Thank for your help.

Ninetrees
1-Newbie
(To:FDS)

I found it by going to

Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

and looking for them on the list. Then it is a simple matter to select them and select remove...are they not showing up in Add or Remove Programs dialog?

I seem to recall that PTC places is in the Ps, but that PDSi might be under Mathcad. I really don't recall. But do look down the entire list and let us know what you find.

~R~

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst

Thanks Rich! I didn't look under the "P" as assumed it was under Mathcad.

Filip

Ian1
1-Newbie

Hi Rich

Thanks for your help - I passed it on to our IT guys and they fixed it - job done !

Ian

Rich Messeder wrote:

1. PTC Places

I think that PTC should at least have a description of what these two apps are.

Searching the web found (almost) nothing.

The only hints I got were that PTC places somehow keeps track of the places you store their files (I presume this is for folk who have lots of different PTC e.g. Pro/e, apps) and that PDSi was created in conjuction with Adobe as a viewer for 'stuff', exactly which of their stuff I've no idea, who brings me back to the desire 'we should be told' ...

Philip

PTC Places is for a PTC product, Product Point, which works like Sharepoint. Product Point enables people to share documents especially for requirements management, data management, etc. It is a central respository for workflow management, revision history, etc. We include it in Mathcad, for users who work with both products to manage their Mathcad documents.

PDSI enables Mathcad to work with other parts of the PTC product development software, including Pro/ENGINEER, Windchill, and other sofware that also partcipate in Product Lifecycle management.

I'll see what I can do to so that we clarify these connections.

Mona

"I'll see what I can do to so that we clarify these connections."

...or opt out during installation for those of us who don't use them?

~R~

Thank you Mona for the info on what those product items are.

I also got a nice reply from support who have reproduced and logged the fault.

I have reproduced the behaviour that you described and I have opened SPR 2038006 with medium priority to address this issue.

The SPR details can be viewed here: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2038006.

The workarounds would be to either not install the Windchill ProductPoint Components (last step of the Mathcad installation wizard) or uninstall PTC Places from the Control Panel if it is not used.

you can track your call using: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/call.jsp?n=7971796

also created this TAN: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=151726 which is linked to the SPR.

It may only be me that can see the call though.

Philip

Added TAN details

Top Tags